First build - not sure if I got everything right

ptr5r

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Hi all!

I have been reading a lot of threads discussing builds and I have decided to create my own! have removed components from my old computer to clean them up and I have done some electronics, so I think assembling everything together would not be a problem. I am having some doubts with actually making up my mind about the parts. I really wanted to get the community's opinion about the parts I have selected and in this way expand my knowledge on hardware.

My goal: I need a machine that should be able to run new games at 75fps at 1080p resolution (assuming decent quality levels - maybe high, but not as far as extreme). I have bought an Oculus Rift DK2 and my current machine is really struggling with it. So basically, this new machine would be used for DK2 development plus maybe some gaming. Also, it's worth mentioning that my budget is £1000.

After doing some research, this is what I am considering - link to PCPartsPicker.

I chose most of these parts by sorting all the parts in each category by rating and from there on comparing several which were a combination of decent ratings (not just the number the stars but also the number of people voting) and price.

I have also roughly followed this blog post.

I have decided to go for Devil's Canyon (instead of i5 as shown in the blog post) mostly because I believe it's going to last me longer and I am afraid of overclocking - I kind of wish not to change the processor and motherboard for at least 3-4 years. I am going to use the stock CPU cooler - I read somewhere that it's not that bad.

This brings me to the second component - the motherboard. I was reading about this new Z97 architecture and I was somehow convinced that I should get a Z97 motherboard (not really sure why, apart from my feeling that it is going to be compatible with newer things in the near future). So, I picked several motherboards and compared them here - I only chose Maximus Hero because it had more people voting for it. This is one of the components I am not entirely sure about - I compared it with MSI Z97-G55 SLI on the website shown above and I cannot see dramatic differences between the two.. Why does the Asus one cost that much more then? Is it just the manufacturer?

Next thing is memory - again a lot of different manufacturers and models to choose from. Ripjaws seem to be more popular than Kingston, but I have always had Kingston, so this is why I decided to go for it. Are there any particular reasons why people would prefer Ripjaws? Also, I am not sure about the speed - does a bigger number on that mean an increase in performance (2400 as opposed to 1600 for example).

Finally, the video card - I have decided to listen to the advice given in the blog post and go for a GTX 770 - something I would upgrade probably next summer. Not sure if it's worth spending and extra £100 on 780, when in 7-8 months time I might be able to sell it and hopefully buy a 9xx for £300.

Regarding the hard drive, power supply and case, I chose those based on ratings and price. I wanted a SSD to start with, I will add another storage hard drive in couple of months time, so my only requirement for the case is that it should be able to have enough space for another hard drive. The power supply is more than I need, but future upgrades will definitely need that extra power. I was looking at efficiency ratings for that one (assuming that better efficiency rating is not going to convert that much electricity into heat).

Soooo..this is my reasoning behind choosing these specific parts. Since it's my first build, I really wanted to discuss it with someone more experienced and basically learn what's good and what's not so good about it.

Any help/opinions are greatly appreciated! :)

logainofhades

Titan
Made some changes. Less expensive SSD, a less expensive motherboard, less expensive ram, and PSU. All these components are still good quality items. The savings allow for a much better graphics card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£249.95 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.44 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£93.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£66.60 @ Aria PC)
Total: £923.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-07 18:48 BST+0100

ptr5r

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks logainofhades! I was hoping for a discussion to learn why would one be better than the other one (except for the price), but I guess all these are explained somewhere around the forum - I will dig into it and read!

As for the build, thanks a lot for the suggestion - it seems more logical to do this as the GPU would be doing all the heavy lifting in graphics applications, so it's better to have spend more money on it. I have one question though - the power supply you recommended is rated as "Bronze" and I kind of wanted to get a "Gold" one - I assume it will be more thermally efficient - do you think it's not going to make a difference? I have also reconsidered and decided to get rid of the stock CPU cooler and go for this (seems efficient and inexpensive). What do you think?

logainofhades

Titan
Bronze vs Gold power efficiency isn't really much. It isn't going to make a difference. The 212 evo is a good cooler. I am using the older 212 plus, myself. The components I chose are not worse, or better, in any noticeable way. I just don't believe in overpaying for items, and sacrificing performance as a result. A GTX 970 is faster than even a GTX 780.