Jan 20, 2014
Here is my build

GPU: GTX 660 SC edition

CPU: Intel I3-4130

RAM: 4:00 GB x 1

Motherboard: MSI H87-G43

PSU: Corsair 500

500 GB HDDR

Now what i'm wondering is how can I make this computer just run better and more smooth. I play the game planetary annihilation and at the start of each game the game freezes for about 3 minutes, and stutters for another 3 minutes before I finally get smooth gameplay. But at the end of each round it freezes again and stutters. I can't even play big matches with 4+ people because the game just shuts down. It freezes and then closes. This happens with other games too. I'm wondering if something is bottlenecking or is it my RAM? What can I upgrade within a $200 limit to make my computer play so much smoother. I have $400 total but i'd rather not spend that all if it's possible. If there is anything around $400 please list it still and I will take a look. Thanks for all the help.

Solution
Hi,
Your consistent freezing and closing of games suggest to me a hardware or software issue, not necessarily insufficient memory.

I do recommend another 4GB, preferably an IDENTICAL stick though. If you can't get identical then at least get the same frequency and CAS (i.e. 1600MHz CAS9). You can try going through pcpartpicker.

Diagnostics:
0. First, update the motherboard BIOS if it's not the latest.

1. run MEMTEST www.memtest.org

2. run Prime95 to stress CPU (if no crashing it's not an overheating issue causing a crash)

3. Hard drive diagnostic (from manufacturer)

4. Use a different video card, or your CPU's GPU. This is just for stability and if using the i3's CPU you'll need to lower the graphics quality a lot but it's crucial...
Hi,
Your consistent freezing and closing of games suggest to me a hardware or software issue, not necessarily insufficient memory.

I do recommend another 4GB, preferably an IDENTICAL stick though. If you can't get identical then at least get the same frequency and CAS (i.e. 1600MHz CAS9). You can try going through pcpartpicker.

Diagnostics:
0. First, update the motherboard BIOS if it's not the latest.

1. run MEMTEST www.memtest.org

2. run Prime95 to stress CPU (if no crashing it's not an overheating issue causing a crash)

3. Hard drive diagnostic (from manufacturer)

4. Use a different video card, or your CPU's GPU. This is just for stability and if using the i3's CPU you'll need to lower the graphics quality a lot but it's crucial to test if your GTX660 is causing any of the issues. If crashing stops it sounds likely the GTX660 was the cause.

Update the Intel GPU drivers if you use it (from Intel directly which can scan your system to recommend drivers).

5) If crashing stops insert the GTX660 but use the secondary PCIE x16 slot. This is to determine if the other PCIe slot was affecting things. I doubt it.

In some cases you may need to reinstall Windows as there may be some corrupted software.

Other hardware:
You are a little weak with the CPU but I wouldn't necessarily run out and get a better one. If you decide to choose between a CPU or better graphics card then get a better CPU. My advice is the i5-4690 which has the highest Turbo speed of all the CPU's which can't be overclocked: http://ark.intel.com/products/80810/Intel-Core-i5-4690-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

You can save about $50 ($175 instead of $225) getting an i5-4440 but it only goes to 3.3GHz. That's an 18% difference which can be significant.

*I'm uncertain if you can run a non-K Intel CPU higher than its rated Turbo using the XMP profile. For example, would the i5-4690 run at say 4.2GHz or is 3.9GHz simply a hard maximum? If that was the case then for $10 more the i5-4690K at 4.2GHz would give a bit more than 7% potential above 3.9GHz.

Summary:
a) 4GB stick (identical if possible)
b) diagnostics
c) possible reinstall of Windows
d) i5-4690 or i5-4690K? (or i5-4440)

Solution