My GPU fan works, but my CPU fan doesn't?

opscopez

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello,

Did initial boot with Gigabyte Z97XX-SLI motherboard (shortcirciut). The GPU fans turned on, but the CPU fans didn't. The system went to the BIOS after telling me there was no boot drive (did external test) and I wanted to know if I did something wrong.

Processor: i5-4690K
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 770
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Is the fan supposed to turn on yet or later as I do something more intense? I initially plugged the CPU cooler (Intel default stock cooler) into the SYS_FAN1 header by accident (both look the same and fit the same) but then changed it over to the CPU_FAN header.

Thanks in advance,
OP SCOPEZ

EDIT: Plugged the CPU fan into the SYS_FAN1 header, and it worked. However, in the BIOS, the CPU fan is not registered, but the CPU's kept cool.

Solution
The CPU fan should be kicking on immediately after powering on your system, at the very least running at minimum speed. Unplug the CPU fan and re-plug it in, ensuring that you get all 4 pins connected. I have inadvertently missed a pin before, causing the fan to not turn on at all. DO NOT leave the system on for long without getting the fan working properly first.
Some motherboards will not boot if there is no fan plugged in to the cpu fan header.
Some motherboards will give you a warning or not boot if the fan does not spin or spins lower than 300rpm.
These settings are usually adjustable in the bios.
Usually you will get a message.

I would expect the cpu cooler fan to spin at startup.
Once you are in the bios, look at the cpu temperature.
If it is more than 20c over ambient, you may have a bad cooler.

Alfrodo

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
The CPU fan should be kicking on immediately after powering on your system, at the very least running at minimum speed. Unplug the CPU fan and re-plug it in, ensuring that you get all 4 pins connected. I have inadvertently missed a pin before, causing the fan to not turn on at all. DO NOT leave the system on for long without getting the fan working properly first.

Solution