Formatting a new SSD (for storage, not for an OS)

zephah

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
So yesterday I saw that Fry's had a pretty cool SSD on sale;

http://www.frys.com/product/8287326?site=sa:adpages%20page:p7_FRI%20date:100314

Seeing as I only have a 120GB for all things on my computer (OS, games, etc.) I wanted to snatch it up.

I got home, plugged it in, and it read in the BIOS immediately so I restarted, and it wouldn't show up in My Computer.

I tried swapping the Data/Power cables between the two SSD's just to see if the connection was the issue; but then it wouldn't read my old SSD and would have no problems reading my new one.

I got some advice from there to go into my Disk Management and see if the SSD was even showing up (which it was) but it just said it was Not-Alotted and I was told to put a New Volume on it and Format it so it would be usable.

After 3 hours it was only at 2-3%, so I asked if I could cancel it and Quick Format, but it would just tell me that Windows can't format the drive every single time. I re-set up the formatting the long way and went to bed, and now roughly 16 hours later, it's at 28%.

What on Earth am I doing wrong?

delta1inc

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hmm... If you are using windows you need to format it to NFTS format in order for windows to read it as a proper storage device. Formating should not take that long especially on a SSD. If you can use windows command and make sure you run it as "run as administrator" follow the guide and go from there as it should work. https://www.techhack.co.uk/2011/03/31/format-a-hard-drive-with-command-prompt/

zephah

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
Just wanted to update: I "sort of" fixed the problem. I powered down the PC, plugged the already working Data cable from the CD-ROM that was working, into the new SSD. It loaded up, quick format worked no problem and now it's usable. So I guess my brand new Data cable was just not satisfactory? And I'll have to search around for an alternative method if I want to use my CD-ROM in the future.