GTX 980 has Dual-link DVI-I x 1, I have two monitors with DVI-D

F4LLCON

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hello, I want to buy the MSI GTX 980 GAMING GPU, but it has 1 Dual-link DVI-I, 1 HDMI and 3 displayports. Problem is, that I have 2x LG 22EA63V-P with D-Sub (VGA), DVI-D, HDMI.

Can I connect my monitors to the MSI GPU as dual monitor?
What's the best solution to connect my two monitors to the new GPU?

I currently have the Sapphire r9 290x Tri-x, Dual monitor with DVI-D connected. I want to upgrade to the GTX 980, and the MSI looks nice. Also the ASUS STRIX GTX 980 has the same outputs as the MSI.

If nothing else is possible, I'd go with Gigabyte GTX 980, but rather prefer the MSI.

Thanks

Solution
Yes, DVI and HDMI are the same in regards to video quality.

The video format/data is the same; you can even go from one to another without any sort of active convert, just a cable with dvi on one end and hdmi on the other.
The only difference between the two is that HDMI has audio and obviously the plug ends are different.

F4LLCON

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Don't you mean Displayport to DVI?

Will the display quality be the same?

Yes, DVI and HDMI are the same in regards to video quality.

The video format/data is the same; you can even go from one to another without any sort of active convert, just a cable with dvi on one end and hdmi on the other.
The only difference between the two is that HDMI has audio and obviously the plug ends are different.

Solution

snwboardn

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Stay away from having to use a DP to DVI converter, there have been a few reports of the card not recognizing monitors connected via the displayport and I had to return my active DP to DVI converter because it just would not recognize the monitor... Ended up getting a DP to HDMI, so I am hoping that will work.