Need help on my major choice leading into a career

Krysune

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Okay a little background on myself...
I have recently graduated high school, and I am currently attending my very first semester in community college. I have a very strong passion for computers and technology in general, it's one of the only things I am extremely good at, and I want to pursue my passion for a life long career, I've been working with computers for a good 10 years now, started at a young age and i'm still doing what I love...The thing is, I am not into the programming aspect, I am only heavily interested in hardware, and network configuration, cable routing, working with servers physically, repairing client computers and such. I just like the whole physical aspect, plus to add..Sorry if this is very vague and running on and on, it's hard to explain this...I'm a person who tends to know a lot about the technology, things I never really thought I knew, I just know it, it's like second nature.

So really what I am asking, what degree should I really go for? I have my A+ Certification and Network+ Certification, currently debating on getting my CCNA and MCSE...But I want to know what degree to go forth to. I am conflicted with either Bachelors in Computer Engineering or Computer Science with my certifications all bunched together...I don't know what is better to get for my own future really. I always thought Computer Engineering would be the best bet for me, but I really do not know! Some help on my decision would be very grateful.
To note, I would like to go in steps...I have a high school diploma of course, so I wanted to get my Associates then transfer to a university for my bachelors, I don't want to just transfer, I legitly want to get my degree's step by step, just what I want to do.

If you're not interested in theory, rule out Computer Engineering and Computer Science immediately. I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering and I can assure you that if you're not into programming, logic, or circuit design you will absolutely hate it.

What you're looking for is an Information Technology program. These are typically offered at both the diploma and degree level.

Krysune

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

What degree's are offered in this Information Technology exactly? Always heard different things about it honestly...So I am unsure, for someone like myself into hardware, troubleshooting, networking, etc what should I specific in during my two years of community?
Also, yeah I am not into the programming thing, It is something I cannot grasp...But I am extremely interested in how computers in general work, I just love tinkering with them it's something I enjoy, and tend to learn more and more about just technology in general the more I do so.