4 monitor pyramid setup with ability to expand to 6 monitors (3x2)

BoringTaxCPA

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Total novice here that just sorta stumbled onto this DIY build ur own machine stuff, so I thought why not give it a try!

Goal is a fast responsive business machine where I keep a ton of programs and web pages and spreadsheets and emails open and accessible across my field of monitors! Gaming is not a priority at all. This is about uber productivity and keeping my desk clear of paper!

I already own 6 dell 22" monitors sw2209 monitors with DVI input

Here is what I am thinking for a build, any critiques and suggestions are appreciated! Most of this was picked cause it looked cool or the advertising sucked me in so please help!

ASUS Sabertooth Mark2 Z97
CPU Intel i5-4690k
Ram 16GB 2x8 1866 Viper cause the red looks cool
Asus R9 270 GPU x 2 (can some explain the SLI crossfire stuff to me?)
Samsung Pro 840 256GB x 2 in raid1 for program reliability and speed
Corsair AX 860 Power supply
Nanoxia Deep Silent 1 for quiet operation.
Windows 8.1 64bit Pro

Do I need more cooling stuff for this setup like radiators and fans?

Wont bore u with the other crap like CD/RW or 7200 HD type stuff!

So am I in over my head or will this work out ok with a little static wristband and tube of thermal paste?

Solution

exroofer

Distinguished
There are some very good tutorial videos you can look up on youtube and other sources about building a pc. It really is not very hard if you are methodical and Read The Manual. In this case the motherboard manual so you know what to plug in where.

I will let some of our more knowledgeable forum members critique your build for what you want to do and fine tune it. There are some peculiarities you need to be aware of for running that many monitors. But it can be done. Basic system specs look good for what you want to do, probably more power supply than you need, in watts.

diabedo

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I commend you, this is a very solid configuration. You would be able to run up to 8 monitors. I recommend looking into a CPU cooler or heatsink. The stock Intel cooler is ok, but running multiple monitors will have a greater load on the CPU and will need to have more cooling.
What will you be using this machine for?

BoringTaxCPA

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Thank you! Fascinating stuff around all these bits and pieces! I will be using this to run Lacerte Tax software two sessions current and prior year each on their own monitor for center monitor row 1 and the one above, Windows office (excel word outlook) Chrome and or Firefox on 3rd monitor on right first row, OCR software kind of like PDF for scanned documents on 4th monitor on left first row.

I hate closing files and tabs and always keep a ton of stuff open on my desktop!

diabedo

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
You shouldn't have any problem running all of this and more. I still recommend a CPU cooler, there are air and liquid coolers. Fans push and or pulling air through radiators that are either connected to the CPU directly or a reservoir of liquid that runs through tubes and plates that are connect to the CPU and or other components. Both air and liquid cooling are good, liquid cooling is better and since the creation of the "closed loop liquid cooling system", liquid cooling doesn't require the high maintenance the custom water loops have. The rule of thumb is bigger radiator more cooling, also bigger fans and more power consumption, so it's a balance. I use the Corsair H100i closed water loop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032 and I love it. i run 2x 24" and a 32" monitors and I am like you I keep MANY applications open at once and it keeps my CPU nice and cool 26c as I'm typing this with 7gb ram used by open applications on 3 screens.

diabedo

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I would recommend setting up you system simillar to this:
295x3dy.jpg

There is a clear flow of air from the front of the case straight back to the double GPUs for max cooling efficacy.
The Hard Drive bays are on the bottom on the case, out of the way.

exroofer

Distinguished
Oh and a platter drive, you can get 1 terabyte ones cheapish now, for mass storage and data/os install back up would probably be a good idea on a business use machine.

Does anyone know if the OP "needs" two video cards to run that many monitors, or is there a way to daisy chain them so he only needs to buy one card? I have never tried to use that many so I don't know the ins and outs of that. Or is it the case that it is much better to simply use the two cards, and all the video out ports available? I am guessing you set it up as one big extended desktop and then just drag the windows to the appropriate monitor?

*Asking because I wouldn't mind knowing how this works exactly.

Of course if he does go with two cards, his "business" machine will also be a pretty darn good gaming rig!

diabedo

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

New DisplayPorts with compatible displays allow daisy chaining for up to 4 per port I believe. But He already has the displays, he needs a rig for them. So the 2 cards are probably the best bet.

Solution