Majoring in Engineering computer tech

Loc Nguyen

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask what kind of jobs would I be working as if I were to major in that? I really like math and they require me to take classes like Calculus 2, Physics (base calc), C++ , and Java. It's my first year in college and i'm very excited about this major, but not sure what kinda of job is for me in the future. I really love video games, drawing, and about computer stuff.

Solution
Depends on what you are interested. If you enjoy programming, and you find you are good at it, then maybe look into computer science. If you enjoying working with hardware, try computer engineering or information technology. These three Technology degrees are all very different, so do your research on them.

As for the jobs, this should be discussed in your courses as it was in mine, but figure out what you enjoy first, then worry about jobs.

Hope this helps.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
You'd be better off asking an advisor, honestly. First year courses aren't really going to say much about what the degree is about, especially since many colleges have fairly unified first years for all their engineering or computer or however they like to divvy it up students.

Loc Nguyen

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Okay, I will do so! But what steps should I take to really get a little into a career that I might find myself in later in the future? Will I be able to stay with the same job for a long time? I don't really know much about Coding, but I am interested in learning the languages of C++ and such. What job do you think I would be doing though if I had learned those stuff?

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
If they are available in your area, look for internships doing what you want to do. Software development is a really broad field, and can run from little apps for phones all the way up to operating systems. Look at what employers are in the area and what they do, ask around. Most places are generally positive about people asking what the jobs they hire for involve.

vickedslava

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Depends on what you are interested. If you enjoy programming, and you find you are good at it, then maybe look into computer science. If you enjoying working with hardware, try computer engineering or information technology. These three Technology degrees are all very different, so do your research on them.

As for the jobs, this should be discussed in your courses as it was in mine, but figure out what you enjoy first, then worry about jobs.

Hope this helps.

Solution