Minimum GPU Requirements for Dual 4k Monitors

motoknown

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I would like to equip my work pace with dual 4k monitors. What is the minimum GPU requirements. I won't be playing any video games. The system is used for application development.

I need the GPU to be power efficient ... I don't want a huge electric bill.

PC Specs
2x 240 GB Intel SSD
32 GB Ram
Core i5-4590S

I have looked everywhere on the internet and everyone is claiming a top of the line GPU is required. This seems like an overkill for my need. I would like to accomplish the task with one GPU. I really would like to spend less than 200 dollars.

I was looking at a XFX R9-270A-CNFC. Would this do the trick? I don't game at all on my pc. I just use it as a workstation.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I've no idea about the GTX 950, read that 960 ($250 price bracket) will be out in Oct, no official news yet. And I can't conclusively say two will be on 60Hz, with MoBo slots. Depends on MoBo ports too, HDMI is stuck at 30Hz on 4k unless you get 2.0. DVI and Displayport are better in this aspect, but not all MoBos will allow multiple 4k, I assume you're going for a good enough H MoBo with it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, haven't tried a 4K display with Intel HD, might be able to do one, not sure about two. I know our latest i5-4570 desktops have dual display ports, so maybe.

I would opt for the GTX750 since you aren't playing games, save a little money and it is the same architecture. A much lower power part then a 270X.

You'll want one with display port to be able to 60Hz at 3840x2160. Two might drop down to 30Hz.

motoknown

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Okay looking at GTX750 now. I know if you are running windows you can run 4k display with Intel HD at 60hz. I would like to run 60hz on both displays ... I have read 60hz is better for your eyes than 30hz.

Also anyone know when the GTX 950 will come out? I can wait a little bit.

I've no idea about the GTX 950, read that 960 ($250 price bracket) will be out in Oct, no official news yet. And I can't conclusively say two will be on 60Hz, with MoBo slots. Depends on MoBo ports too, HDMI is stuck at 30Hz on 4k unless you get 2.0. DVI and Displayport are better in this aspect, but not all MoBos will allow multiple 4k, I assume you're going for a good enough H MoBo with it.

Solution

stavros58

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Why not buy a cheap but adequate discrete graphics card to run one monitor and run the other off the Intel HD I used to do this prior to running two AMD 7870 in Crossfire. This was on standard monitors of course but the principle must be the same for 4K as long as you are not gaming and is the cheapest option, don't forget to check your Mobo settings when setting up.