3D Gaming Monitor

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
Hi all,

I've come here as part of doing some research before buying my new monitor. For the last 4(ish) years I have been using HP2310i and I am still really happy with it in terms of colours, contrast and viewing angles. I have recently up-grated my rig to be 3D capable and I am looking around for a decent monitor tat will be of the quality I expect and will last me for a few more years.
Also, on a related note, what sort of performance drop can I expect when I run my games in 3D? My PC consists of a single 2GB GTX 770 - should I be worried that I will have to be choosing between running my games at high quality vs running them in 3D?

Thanks for all the help.

Solution

That would be a great idea.
Getting a monitor with higher resolution(Higher than 1920x1080) will also have a impact on the performance. But not as big as the 3D vision though. Your card should be able to handle 2560x1440 due to the 2GB of V-ram. If the FPS get way to low, you can always turn off Übersampling to get some...

Blubberykollis

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013
Hello Metallfan.

The performance loss with using 3D vision is twice as big. Due to it have to render from 2 angles. Your GTX 770 will handle most of the games, but in heavier games you might have to turn down the quality a bit to achieve 60 Frames Per Second.

Personally, I think it's cool to play with 3D vision, but it can be strenuous for your eyes.

The monitor I am currently using: Asus 27" VG278HR.
It includes 3D glasses too.

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
That's actually a very good feedback, thank you. Now I will seriously re-consider if I really want a 3d monitor if the performance impact will be so serious. My rig turns out not to be as futureproof as I thought with Games like The Witcher 2 only running at 25-35 fps for me (with ubersampling on) they would not be playable in 3d.
I may just look at better quality and slightly larger monitor without 3d option?

Blubberykollis

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013

That would be a great idea.
Getting a monitor with higher resolution(Higher than 1920x1080) will also have a impact on the performance. But not as big as the 3D vision though. Your card should be able to handle 2560x1440 due to the 2GB of V-ram. If the FPS get way to low, you can always turn off Übersampling to get some FPS back.

Solution