NEW 3 Monitor setup, need help! Come by :)

August123

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Hi!

I have been thinking along time about upgrading my setup i bought this summer, and i was thinking about a 3 monitor setup.

My current specs are:
I7 Quad Core 4770K 4,8GHz
MSI Z97 Gaming motherboard (SLI Ready)
CRUCIAL DDR3-1600 DIMM 2x8 RAM (16GB)
(Im getting a 850W Gold Certified 80+ Tier 1 PSU for my new setup)
240GB SSD and 1TB Harddisk
Zotac 780Ti OC Edition (Check it out for more detailed specs)
Razer Deathstalker Ultimate Keyboard
Razer Deathadder Mouse (New Version)
Raser 7.1 Tiamat Headset

Asus "27" VS278H 1920x1080 Monitor (Take a look to see if it's good for 3 monitor setup, it's kinda big on the sides)

What im looking to do, is getting 2 more of my current Asus monitors and another Zotac 780Ti. Are my specs enough to run games like battlefield 4 and DayZ standalone on 60+ FPS on Medium-High settings? Is my PSU strong enough to run the setup? Is my setup creating any bottlenecks? How do i connect my monitors to my graphics cards? Do i have to put all the monitors in 1 card or 2 in 1 and 1 in the other graphics card?

Please tell me EVERYTHING i have to Keep in mind!!!

It's a lot to remember

PLEASE LINK THINGS I SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING IN THE COMMETS. I dont have a budget.

Best Regards
- August

Solution
If you want to go with a triple 27" monitor setup then I would sell your current monitor and get 3 of the ASUS MX279H http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B17C5KO or just get two of them to surround your current monitor. They are beautiful IPS displays with a very small bezel that is excellent for multi-monitor setups.

Your current monitor is nice by itself but the bezel on it is not great for triple displays. Personally, I'd just get a pair of the MX279's and have them next to your current monitor. You current one will be better performing and probably a better choice as your primary. The two IPS panels will have great viewing angles since they will be on the sides and not looking at them straight on.
I would suggest you get this card for SLI:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($439.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $439.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 19:12 EDT-0400
It has a great cooler and it claims to have a custom-designed PCB, I've seen it in reviews.
The monitors are fine, but 1080p monitors over 24'' might give you a sort of headache as you can kinda see the pixels. I would recommend this monitor as it's 24'', 1080p, has a 1 ms response time, built-in speakers and even supports 3D!
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $264.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 19:16 EDT-0400
You should connect the monitors via HDMI to profit from the built-in speakers.

Your specs should definitely get you more than 60 FPS in these games.
A 850 watt PSU should handle 2 780 Tis.
You take your cable, plug one end in one of the ports on the GPU (preferably HDMI for the speakers) and plug the other end into the corresponding port on the monitor.

HighEndGaming

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
If you want to go with a triple 27" monitor setup then I would sell your current monitor and get 3 of the ASUS MX279H http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B17C5KO or just get two of them to surround your current monitor. They are beautiful IPS displays with a very small bezel that is excellent for multi-monitor setups.

Your current monitor is nice by itself but the bezel on it is not great for triple displays. Personally, I'd just get a pair of the MX279's and have them next to your current monitor. You current one will be better performing and probably a better choice as your primary. The two IPS panels will have great viewing angles since they will be on the sides and not looking at them straight on.

Solution

August123

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, im really confused about the monitor setup (i got the graphics card figured out, 2 Extreme AMP SC 980)

If i take a look at my monitor, it's about 1,5-1,8 cm wide on the edges, i really dont know if i wanna get new monitors, i think my current one is great, but i also not want to fail on this rig, it's money were talking about, i mean, who wants to throw money out of the window, lol. So i'll think about it.

But i have another question, is this PSU strong enough to run the 2x Zotac Extreme AMP 980's?
It's a tier 1 PSU on many lists, and it's gold certified, it should be a very strong and consistent power source, but i wanna make sure that it's strong enough :).

Thanks a lot for your time

August.

August123

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Hi!

Thanks for the answer!

I know the big brands are ASUS and EVGA etc, but i don't get whats the important things in the graphics cards, since the Zotac 980 has a lot better core and boost clock, what's the thing that matters the most?

August

HighEndGaming

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

What matters the most are the components used when manufacturing the card and the customer support to back it. ASUS and EVGA tend to use top of the line components and have great service/support. Out of the box performance means nearly nothing if the components are being stressed to the max when you first install it. You can easily overclock any of the ASUS or EVGA cards to surpass the Zotac. Again, Zotac isn't a "bad" brand but not top of the line either.

August123

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

If i buy the graphics card you linked, aren't they out of the box overclocked? I don't wanna overclock myself

August

HighEndGaming

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Yes, it's already overclocked out of the box.