RAID Array Continuously Disconnecting

MhtWFutwv

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I have a Rosewill RSV-S4-6G RAID Enclosure. I recently purchased 4 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDDs (ST2000DM001) for it. I set up a RAID 5 without any apparent hitches. The array is recognized with the proper size by my system. I can add small files without any problem. However when I try adding large files (>5GB) or multiple small files representing a large amount of data the transfer starts at about 150 MB/s then rapidly declines in speed before dropping the connection to the RAID entirely and terminating the transfer. When I restart my computer the RAID is again recognized and appears to be functioning normally until I try to transfer more data to it.

I am running Windows 7.

RealBeast

Titan
It is tough to diagnose the problem here in my experience. It could be either a bad disk or a controller issue in the enclosure. While quite inelegant, I would shutdown the enclosure and remove one drive at a time and test them by attaching to a computer and running Seatools on the drives. That will give you a pretty good indication if there is a drive issue. Sadly, I had to go through a similar exercise with an 8 disk array on an expensive controller that would report all drives as fine, although as it turned out one drive was not fine.

Just be sure to do it one drive at a time and attach them to the same spot where you removed them or it could corrupt your array further. And I would back up any important data asap.

MhtWFutwv

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I do not not yet have any important data stored as I am setting it up for the first time. I deleted the RAID Group and set up each hard drive as an disk and they each worked fine. It is only when connected through the RAID enclosure that they don't work with large data transfers.

The same issue seems to be here: http://. I tried the fix there, but it says "The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor." Rosewill tech support directed me another tech support group that I have not been able to get in touch with.

RealBeast

Titan
You should pursue it with Rosewill, as it sounds to be a controller issue. I transfer TBs between storage arrays in RAID 5 and/or 6 without any issues all the time, but they are Adaptec and LSI controllers.