Rate my budget gaming rig

gasd90

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Hey guys :)
So I'm looking to get myself a reasonably priced reasonably strong gaming rig. Due to personal circumstances I don't have a tonne of money to spend so I'm stricken to $900, $1000 max. But I'm actually in the UK so about £650-700 to be exact but I guessed the majority of peeps will be from USA.

So here it is:
CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: Corsair 550W PSU
MOTHERBOARD: Asus H81M-PLUS, 2xSATA 6Gbps, 2xSATA 3Gbps, 2xUSB3, 4xUSB2, HDMI, DVI, D-Sub, mATX
CPU: Intel i5 4460 3.2Ghz Quad Core
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB LP 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
GFX: 2GB EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX, 1072MHz GPU, 1152 Cores, 6008MHz GDDR5
HDD: 1GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
OPT: Samsung SH-224DB - 24x DVD Reader & Writer

I know the case has a good read-up, decent ventilation, but I'm not sure on the PSU. Heard that Corsair got took over by another company and they use cheap components in their hardware but it comes as a deal with a 2 year warranty or I guess I'm willing to risk it.

Motherboard seems reasonable to me, what do you think? And CPU, I'm used to an i3 3.2Ghz dual core so no doubt the i5 will be a good few steps ahead, I can choose between 8GB and 16GB so I'm guessing if I have enough at the time I'll go for 16GB. The graphics card I've seen has some pretty decent reviews, I'm always skeptical because we all tend to listen to people who have their eyes set on the latest and greatest when in reality, I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 5700 and I'm playing Skyrim at the moment on ultra-high, the game is a little blocky here and there and I've never had an AMAZING gfx card so I suppose people pick at the tiniest details when it comes to gfx cards.. In my OWN opinion and my own preference.. as long as it plays most games and most new games without much hassle - I'm all fine by it :)

The HDD is a bit of a worry, I've heard Seagate have a poor durability rating whereas WD have a much smoother durability/longetvity rating, my current HDD is a WD and must be at least 3 years old and it's still good to go. Everything else is pretty much just normal stuff.

So, help me out guys. Sound okay? Baring in mind, like I said, I'm not looking to break any FPS records here for playing the latest games nor looking to benchmark in the top 10 performance wise. If you can bare that in mind when you reply..

This is going to be a main gaming rig for myself, leaving my existing computer as a workstation more than anything else. Might even use it as a NAS, take all the 'decent' stuff out of it for safe keeping..

Thanks for your help :)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
9/10, really well made. Only things I would possibly change is the GPU to a R9 280 if you don't need shadowplay or PhysX which the 760 has and swap the PSU for a more reliable unit. Maybe an XFX 550W.

Corsair's OEM for that 550W PSU will be Channel Well. Their top tier units are manufactured by Seasonic. See

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-5.html

Also make sure to check the prices on shipping for each part. Be careful of sites that don't mention the shipping cost up front, it's likely that's where they will get you.

gasd90

Reputable
May 28, 2014

Hey man, thanks for replying. It's a pre-built unit from Scan XS, you've probably heard of them. Been designing some of the most well known competitive gaming rigs for a few years now. It's the only place I trust with my money. The PSU; being cheaply made as I presumed it would be, what exactly is that going to mean for me? Are we just clutching at straws here because well, it's not produced with 100% quality assurance or... will it mess up on me now or in the near future? Like I said, it's only going to be a basic gaming rig. Then again, I don't want to compromise yet I don't want to be spending more on something that is good enough as it is.

To answer your last statement, like I said above. Pre-built. Scan are great, huge track record, build some of the best gaming rigs especially here in the UK; been all over the PC magazines and all over the media. So I'm not paying shipping on each part, just next day delivery on the built unit itself :)