Overclocking an i5 4200H CPU + Nvidia Gefore GTX 860M GPU?

Can I overclock SAFELY without taking huge overheating risks?

• Total voters

robertdiblee

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a new laptop from Tiger Direct Canada. It is a Lenovo Y50, with these specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4200H, dual core (4 hyper threaded cores), running at around 3.3Ghz with Intel's stock turbo boost (usually always on because of high performance power mode)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 860M, 2GB ram
Memory: 8GB

Before you guys comment, "you should have not bought a gaming laptop", or "should have at least went with an i7 with quad cores", please keep in mind that we all have budgets, and need to make sacrifices somewhere...I needed a LAPTOP that could game at 1080p at a reasonable frame rate (at least 48 fps for modern games).

I can say that I achieve almost consistent 48-60fps on 1080p with altered settings (maybe close to high settings, definitely not ultra settings), but temps are pretty high. The internal CPU and GPU temps could get up to 85 degrees under heavy load. The external temps are OK in my opinion though.

With that said, I know it's too late to return this laptop, and I do not want to sell the laptop and take a huge loss due to an insurmountable depreciation for a used laptop, even though it's only a month old.

In short, I want to overclock both the CPU and GPU in the future. I would be buying a heavy-duty laptop cooling pad with at least a 200mm fan like this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992913

Do you guys think I can SAFELY overclock the CPU and GPU for gaming? Note that I do not game for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. I know there are risks associated with frying internal components, but I want to know how much I can potentially stretch the performance of the laptop before I run into risks.

Ideally, if I can get a 5% increase in performance without creating a huge risk of overheating, I would consider overclocking with extreme caution. A 5% increase could potentially put me at a constant 60fps, which would be perfect for me. Please provide some insightful feedback! Again, since we cannot go back in time, let's not ponder on why I got a lower-end CPU...

I also attached a poll below if you just want to simply answer yes or no.

Thank you community!

What makes you think it's even possible to overclock the CPU and GPU? Furthermore, where and how will you provide the additional power requirement from? Laptops are designed with far closer tolerances than the average destop and there are numerous reasons your scheme is unfeasible.