General Use PC Build

shaw24

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I'm going to build a PC for a friend who doesn't game but just wants a solid general use PC. The only things it will really be used for are internet, email, and really light games (solitaire, internet games, etc).

Budget is $400 - $500 and I'm ready to start buying parts now.

No monitor is needed or mouse/keboard.

I do need windows 8. I'd like to go with AMD CPU to save money.

It's for an older person so it doesn't need a fancy case with lights and such.

What do you guys recommend?

shaw24

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

I will need onboard video on the motherboard. Also wouldn't I need to use a pair of memory sticks rather than just one?

That's close to what I threw together though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sM7svK

plywrlw

Admirable
I know you asked for AMD to save money but for the usage you state an Intel Pentium is probably the best bet. It's single-threaded performance is very impressive. I have one in my HTPC and have no trouble at all with multiple tabs, light gaming and streaming Netflix etc. I put an SSD in this build so it will be lightning fast and there's also 8Gb of RAM which is probably overkill. If you want to drop to a single 4Gb stick of RAM you can always add another later.

This PC should be very quiet and cool and the case looks fairly sophisticated :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $439.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 07:45 EDT-0400

rohitsharma359

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Oops.. Sorry for the motherboard issue. I forgot that it didn't have on board video. Well with the motherboard you choose it only have two motherboard slots. So, in future if you want to upgrade your memory you might have to throw a stick. While benefit of having two sticks are that even when one goes faulty you can simply continue you work by using the second. There is no work loss.

Well I have updated the RAM as you can get 1600MHz in this price bracket.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mWvDmG

shaw24

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks all for posting. I kinda combined our list rohit and have settled on this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Thanks for the build ply but I just feel like the FX 6300 is a much better CPU going forward that the Core 2. How does the above build look to you?

plywrlw

Admirable

When I click on your link it takes me to a build with an FX6300 and an R9 280 that's $650...is that right?

shaw24

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

lol nope! I just clicked on it and it's the right one? That's weird.

Try this one

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JPCZqs

plywrlw

Admirable
Ah it's working now thanks, probably a glitch in my browser. It's definitely not the build I'd make to be brutally honest (sorry). You're trying to make your friend a new PC for mainly single threaded and HDD intensive tasks but the "new PC" you've made him is built on really old technology, I mean that motherboard came out with the Phenoms!

For someone who uses their PC for web browsing, flash gaming etc. you want something with an SSD really, especially if they don't need a lot of storage space (let me know if they do!)

If you're determined to stick with AMD why not go for one of their newer APU's? The built in GPU will be perfect for light gaming and the chipsets are at least modern and up-to-date with integrated controllers for things like USB 3.0 and SATA III instead of them being bolted on through third-party controllers. The COrsair CX range are OK for a mainly office build but there are better PSU's out there for similar money.

This would work as an AMD build and would be far more suited than the build with the FX 6300 which in my opinion is power hungry, hot and slow at single-threaded tasks. You'll definitely want a better cooler than the one that ships with the FX 6300 as that one is loud and not terribly good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M EXTREME4+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($73.80 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $501.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 15:38 EDT-0400

I'd still suggest an Intel build though like this i3 build. The FX 6300 is great for people on a budget who need lots of threads for gaming AND who plan to overclock. For office and flash games, the i3 or Pentium would be a better choice. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLcByc