How to Overclock the i7 950 ?

BloodyLion

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hi
I want to overclock my i7 950 and it was never overclocked before. I've never overclocked manually because I have no experience in it.

I've EPU-6 Engein that came with the motherboard. I tried overclocking with it by dragging the boost further up. I managed to get it to 3.5Ghz but its never stable. I've read that programs like this sucks and the best way to do a good overclocking is by doing it manually.

Is there anyone that can help or guide me through it ? I need correct Bios settings etc..

Spices:
i7 950 @ 3.2 Ghz boost.

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 6GB CL9

1000Watt PSU

GTX 560 Ti @ 950 Mhz

Corsair Hydro 50.

Max temp CPU at full load between 65C and 70C

I want to make it stable at 3.8 Ghz or 4.0 Ghz if possible.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
http://www.overclock.net/t/851067/official-i7-950-overclockers-club-read-first-post

What I try to do is offer a guide and then answer question after. That way you can learn how to do it your self, rather than be spoon fed the info. also every chip/mobo is different, so trial and error is needed to reach max safe stable overclocks.

My CO stepping 920 reached 3.8, so you should have no problem going beyond that with the 950. Remember the .5 law of Nahalem voltages. That means the qpi/dram voltage should be within .5 volts of the memory voltage, or dram bus as ASUS calls it.

BloodyLion

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

I checked the website The first guide did not work error page! the other guide worked. I'll read it and it may take a day or two because I am not that good in english. I'll come back to you later.. THanks for your answer.