Is 4k worth getting for me? and what monitor is best to get if not?

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Main components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard:Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
GPU: 2x Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Car (2-Way SLI)

Will a 4k display worth buying in general is the first thing I really want to ask? Also, the monitor will be recorded for Gaming. However, I don't care about TN-Panels and IPS-Panels and their differences because I'm not bothered about response times, I'm not competitive nor am I really caring for it seems I have rubbish internet and stuff so I'm used to weird lag, what I do love is to be immersed in the world if I can, really get crisp screening. Now, my question is that this monitor will be used to record for Youtube mostly, so will a 4k monitor be ok for me? and if not then what should I go for? 2K maybe which I know Youtube supports with 1440p.

If 4k isn't for me or worth buying I'm interested how long you think it will take before 4k will be a big thing? Because I do know that 8K is already being worked on by Hitachi.

Solution
Yes, if you keep an IPS and a TN panel monitors (high end), there's little to no difference in gaming, unless you're looking from 150 degree angles. Here, a review of PB278Q with all technical benchmarks, from RGB levels to input lag to brightness to more complicated stuff, vs a H-IPS HP monitor.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-zr2740w-asus-pb278q-review,3490.html

No matter which panel you choose, you can expect a high-contrast image with excellent color accuracy and sharp detail. Both screens are well-built and should stand up to long-term use. Their installation flexibility is excellent thanks to well-designed bases and VESA mount compatibility. Both are styled simply and functionally, and should blend into any...
This article may help you a bit:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2261324/extreme-builds-3x1080p.html

I'd go for immersive tri FHD, but since you record for youtube, I'd go for a 4k, SLI 980 seems to be comfortable on ultra (not maxed out) at 4k, so even if it's not the best FPS wise, the details are unbelievable. But really, a 28" 4k monitor isn't worth it IMO. If you have the space, a 40" 4k will give you true 4k experience.

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Thank you, that was very informative. So, by the looks of it 4k might be more suitable for me, god I don't know even from that good thread. It's only just started to pick up in constant production and it is essentially still really new.

This was the monitor I was going to get the Asus PA279Q 27.0" Monitor, or is that TOO Exotic? Like be nice for some suggestions of monitors so I know what direction I should be taking,

To be honest, $800 for 2.5k monitor is useless unless you do developing/ graphic designing/ modelling/ PS/ VFX/ etc but gaming! Gaming is based on fast frame refreshes, response times and good quality- and that is what all good gaming monitors give. You certainly do not require that one, not in sense of exotic, but your priority is gaming, and you won't really see a difference in that vs a $500 1440p monitor.

G-Synce is a great feature for monitors, and I'd rather pay for a 144Hz, G.Sync, 1ms monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

^The best 1440p gaming monitor out there. Even this would be good for gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

4k IMO is not worth unless the screen size is really large, for you won't see much difference in display at 28", only lower frames. But if you're really interested in more pixels on a relatively small screen, then ASUS PB287Q is a good one.

I'd for ROG Swift or the second 1440p I advised, but not the one you're looking at, $800 is not worth for a single 1440p display, and that too with 60Hz and 6ms.

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013

Even though that it is mostly for gaming, I don't care for such fast response times and refresh rates if annoying discoloration occurs. I've mentioned that! Okay yeah it might end up doing pretty high demanding latest games out there and intense FPS, but again I don't care about speed, I'm all about quality over speed any day. I've always been more visual concerned than anything. So 5ms, and below is good for me and 6 if it is really worth getting for a truly amazing experience. My family doesn't even have a normal HD TV ever, and my current monitor is Samsung, which is amazing by itself, and upgrading to 4K for me would be almost dream-like if the colors are truly amazing and special in IPS. I mean looking at the monitor that I gave and saw a clip they showed, it was wonderful to the eye and easy on it too, well it felt like it would be anyway.

Just IPS-panels just seem to attract my attention more because it promises better color distinguishment and resolution I guess. TN-Panels when they are testes and see the difference between the two just puts me off them with their weird color offsetting from different angles. Plus, I would be doing Video Editing, 3D Rendering and Photoshopping as well.

I don't know, just IPS sells and interest me more than TN-panels. Wish there was something like G-IPS panel or something, IPS optimized for gaming.

You did mention you don't care if its TN or IPS, so I presented the best for gaming. And take my word here, it has been proved that IPS has no hold over picture quality in gaming over TN. But yes, for PS/ Rendering/ Videos and stuff, its a better buy. Tbh, Dell and LG produce some really good IPS monitors, this one is a great one, both for gaming and for color sensitive stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260111

And, again, TN panels do not have any discoloration, atleast not with the good ones. Yes IPS may look like a wonderful unmatched experience but in gaming there isn't much differnece, your choice ultimately though. Also, PA279Q is not 4k, its 1440p.

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013

So your saying I wouldn't notice a difference unless I really go around testing it and be looking for those problems and differences is what you're trying to say, right? Which is what reviewers do.

Yes, if you keep an IPS and a TN panel monitors (high end), there's little to no difference in gaming, unless you're looking from 150 degree angles. Here, a review of PB278Q with all technical benchmarks, from RGB levels to input lag to brightness to more complicated stuff, vs a H-IPS HP monitor.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-zr2740w-asus-pb278q-review,3490.html

No matter which panel you choose, you can expect a high-contrast image with excellent color accuracy and sharp detail. Both screens are well-built and should stand up to long-term use. Their installation flexibility is excellent thanks to well-designed bases and VESA mount compatibility. Both are styled simply and functionally, and should blend into any environment, whether it be oriented towards productivity or entertainment. While they still command a price premium over 1080p monitors, the gap is slowly narrowing.

Solution

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013

Interesting, but by the looks of it bright colors and everything remotely to do with it IPS wins which is what it is meant to do. Hmm, well it is certainly left me thinking this one up because I do like immersion a lot. Anyway, I was think maybe this monitor would do, Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor.

However, there is an Acer version that goes along with G-Sync quality, so what would you say is best between the Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor and the Acer XB280HK 4k 28.0" Monitor?