Can I use an nVidia card w/ one monitor, and an AMD card w/ another?

exodasius

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
So I've got a (nice) 7850 since last year, and I've been thinking of getting a second card. I'm attracted to an NVidia card for the physx ability, but can I also use this card with a second monitor?

The way I'd have it wired is the AMD card would be the main power horse powering the main monitor, and the NVidia card would provide Physx, but also power the second monitor.

Is this feasible, or should I stick with just getting an NVidia card for physx? Also, will the NVidia card help with FPS and give me a possible fps boost?

exodasius

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks TopLuca! I like my AMD card, I was just pondering since I was on the fence of either a second monitor, or Physx, and wanted to see if "why not both". Would the Nvidia card handling physx increase fps enough to make a second monitor worth my time?

not unless you're getting a high end card.

exodasius

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Assuming I get a GTX 650 TI, would I see boosts?

Also, assuming I get a better gpu than the one I have now, what can i do with the AMD card? I'd rather it not go to waste.

You'll run into issues more than boosts in all honesty , Its really nice to have a physX card when you have an Nvidia card as your primary card and the 650ti in your case doing the PhysX , otherwise don't bother.

You can use the AMD Card as a spare card if anything goes wrong.