Adding a Second Monitor which used to work fine is now slowing down my PC (GTX 760)

mmallow

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
UPDATE: I switched my theme from Aero to Windows 7 Basic and that completely fixed the problem for me. Not sure why (my GPU shouldn't be taxed by Aero) but no lag, stuttering, or anything else of the nature.

OK so I will start off with my computer specs. I have a GTX 760, a FX-4100, 8gb GSkill RAM at 1600mHz, an MSI 990FXA GD80 Motherboard, a Thermaltake 750 Watt Bronze rated PSU, a 120 gb Corsair SSD for Windows and some programs, and a 2TB generic HDD for all other data. A month ago, I had my main monitor, a BenQ XL2420TE connected via HDMI to my discrete graphics card as well as a generic HP monitor connected to the video card via VGA to DVi connector. My computer ran well, with no slowdowns. I disconnected the second monitor for about a month because I had moved my PC to a temporary location but today I reconnected the monitor the same way and now both monitors feel like they are refreshing at about 10-30 Hz. Both the Nvidia and Windows control panels have the refresh rates at 60Hz and even when my second monitor is disconnected, my main monitor is still refreshing slowly. The only changes I have done is install Dragon's Age: Origins and uninstall iTunes. I have tried restarting my PC and unplugging my monitors. I am currently also running an AVG antivirus scan on the computer.

mmallow

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
I solved the problem, please see the update above (posted in the original post). Uninstalling vidoe drivers did not help but thank you for offering help pacdrum_88.