Buyer Beware: Newegg

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Greetings,

I am a long time builder of computers and have been primarily been making my purchases through Amazon.com because of their amazing return policy.

Years ago, when I was initially entering the computer building game, I heard the praises that were given to Newegg.com.

I was initially going to do business with them until I glanced at their RMA and Return policy.

To my horror, this is what their draconian return policy states.
-The buyer must pay for the shipping to ship back the product NEWEGG sent BROKEN to them.
-The buyer must accept a 15% restocking fee for BROKEN ITEMS. Why is newegg punishing their customers when they fudge up, why is newegg RESTOCKING BROKEN ITEMS?

Additionally, refunds (in my case as a result of an UNOPENED REFUSED PACKAGE) take 2-5 days to process after received, and an additional 3-5 days to have a refund issued to my account.

These facts were confirmed by not 1 but 2 newegg representatives that I spoke with through their support phone line and their support on the chat.

They also gave me contradictory information. One man told me that my 2.99 shipping I paid will be refunded, while another woman told me it would not.

---

Amazon.
-A-Z return policy. They refund my purchase the INSTANT I ask for an RMA, or as soon as UPS registers that the package has been refused.

Additionally, amazon sends me a return slip through email. I don't have to wait 3 days for one to be shipped. And I don't have to pay for it to be shipped back.

---

I refused my package after reading review after review of newegg refusing refunds because of apparent "user abuse."

---

Newegg, this is unacceptable. My package arrived in your warehouse today and I refuse to wait a maximum 10 days for a refund.

Is the year 2014 or not? What is with this junk...

Newegg, I didn't buy from you for a reason. I went against my better judgement and did and now I'm reaping the benefits.

Your company really is eggcelent... JUNK.

---

Amazon is generally cheaper than newegg. In this case Newegg was cheapet by ~10 dollars. I will GLADLY pay a ~10 percent premium to receive the excellent customer service Amazon offers.

--

I've already taken to three different social media outlets. Your precious potential customers are watching newegg.

Are you referring to this return policy? http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx

These 2 representative paragraphs taken straight from the linked page would seem to contradict your statement:
A new, unopened desktop PC, notebook, or tablet PC can be returned within 30 days of the invoice date for a full refund. No restocking fee will be charged. However, customer will be responsible for the return shipping cost unless the return is due to a Newegg error.

An opened desktop PC, notebook or tablet PC that is free from defects in materials or workmanship can be returned (in new condition with original product packaging) within 30 days of the invoice date for a refund, subject to a restocking fee of up to 25% of the purchase price and related shipping expenses, all at Newegg’s sole discretion .
It seems that the customer is only responsible for shipping costs if the return is NOT due to a Newegg error, and the restock fee is only assessed for items that are returned in working order. Not any different than any number of other company's return policies.

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

See, that's all fine and dandy. But you're missing the point.

10 days for a refund is ridiculous
Have you ever shopped at amazon.com? The largest internet retailer in the world? ...as well as internet based in general.

I refuse a package, as soon as UPS says its been refused the money is in my account. I call them up and ask for a shipping label? They immediately send out a replacement or issue me a refund before I've even applied the RMA label.

There seems to be no reason to buy from new-egg. Their service is a JOKE. Lower prices do not trump their lackluster customer service...

just think if you bought it in your town you could take it back in less than a day and see the guy face to face on your issues ..

now with egg or any out of town e-store you at there mercy cause your waaaaaaay over here and there waaaaay over there and then you do send it in whats to stop them to claim it was user abuse and deny all warrantee and rma all together??? them what drive to California for a face to face???

the balls in there court when it matters most and all you can do is hope on there honesty

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Believe you me, I will take action to the fullest extent of the law if need be.

I don't have a dispensable income, but I do reasonably well for myself.

I have not opened the package (I never did) so I don't believe I will have any issues. My frustration lies with how long it takes for them to issue a refund. It is inexcusable. It is 2014, amazon does it. Its not impracticable and it most certainly isn't impossible.

I won't be giving them any more of my business and my sentiments have already been expressed on my blog and to my close friends on facebook.

Newegg, I recognize that you may have at one time been a reasonably prestigious company, but you are far from that now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

this is why I don't do rma's rebates returns and all if it come in junk its in the trash I just learned to cut my losses and move on with life [and don't think I don't get a few bad items to deal with ]

they got it all figured out and if they work with you good if not oh well

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
They've received it, they've acknoledged that its being processed for an RMA. I just dislike the whole 7-10 days thing...

I agree with you, here on out that's how I'm going about this.

/thread