First PC Gaming Build (Around £1100+), how are the parts?, building it in a few days, any tips?

Abdullah Ali

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

These are the parts I ordered a few days ago, I have them all and I have ordered a complete computer tool kit to build it:

CPU -

Intel Core i5 4690K S1150, Haswell, 4 Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 5 GT/s DMI, 1.2GHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail

MOTHERBOARD -

Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER Intel Z97, S1150, DDR3, PCIe 3.0 (x16), Quad SLi / CrossFireX, D-Sub (VGA) DVI-D HDMI, ATX

GPU -

4GB MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr 5, 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1140MHz, Boost 1279MHz, 1664 Cores, 1x DP, 2x DVI, 1x HDMI

PSU -

650W Corsair RM Series, Full Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, 1x135mm Fan, ATX v2.4, PSU

HDD -

2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 3 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms OEM NCQ

CASE -

NZXT H440 Matte Black with Green Trim Mid Tower Case with Side Window & 4 Quiet Fans w/o PSU

RAM -

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

OS -

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit DVD English International OEM - The Most Popular One!

MONITOR -

24" Iiyama B2483HS-B1 LED Monitor HDMI/DVI/VGA 1920x1080 300cd/m2 5M:1 2ms Black VESA.

What are the DO'S and DONT'S when building a compete system?

I have some knowledge of building a pc, I have watched lots of YouTube videos and installed a few components when i was at college.

But what I'm asking is like what kind of surface can i build this system on, is a normal table ok?

Is this also correct?, grounding yourself connecting to the PSU that is turned off with the crocodile clip attached to it, will it be ok if I put it on my ankle instead and how long will I have the Electrostatic discharge immunity (sure it's called that ,lol) after taking off the wrist band.

(Sorry is some text is misspelled I will reply back to you with what i meant if there are any mistakes).

Any further advice is much appreciated :D

Thank you all.

popatim

Titan
Do not plug the power supply in. If its plugged in its likely generating power somewhere. Proper grounding would be to use a bana plug into the ground hole of an electrical outlet; Ankle or wrist is fine.
Touch the case as you work with bare skin. Hands, elbows, forearms - all fine. This will keep you and the case equalized in terms of stray voltages.
Hanlde parts by the edges of the boards as much as possible.

I usually assemble the motherbd right in the box it came in and on top of its anti-static bag. I install the cpu & cooler, and ram. Since the intel processor has an integrated GPU you can test the board with just these installed by hooking up the PSU. (This is whats meant by breadboarding the pc. Everything is out of the case.) But I usually wait until the board is installed into the case.

Thye biggest newb mistake is probably forgetting to put the backplane into the case before you install the motherbd. LoL
hint - they install from the inside.