Bad Monitor or DVI Cable?

xvx484

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
So for about a week now when I turn my monitor on for the first time each day it will turn on for a moment (and display what it's supposed to be displaying) and then go blank. The power light on the power button is on and so it seems to be getting power so I turn it off and then back on again and it does it again. After 5-10 times of doing this the monitor finally turns on and stays on.

I was able to connect my graphics card to my TV (through HDMI) and didn't have a problem so I know it's not that but I don't have a spare DVI cable or monitor sitting around. I did unplug the DVI cable from the back of the monitor to see if it would even power on and it seemed to have the same problem so my gut wants to say its the Monitor but I wanted to check here to make sure.

Thanks!

Solution
Cables can go bad, but it is a highly unlikely result.

If you can get your hands on even an old CRT monitor to try it out on, that would even be great before just buying a new monitor. Even though quite honestly, I think that your monitor has bit the dust.

TStahler

Distinguished
Hmm... so the graphics card doesn't seem to be the issue if it was able ot connect to your TV. Do you have another computer that you could test your current DVI cable on to see if it works with that? If it does work with another system, then I would probably guess it is your monitor on its way out.

xvx484

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

I don't have another system I can check it with that's why I'm asking here. Honestly I don't think cables generally go bad do they? I forgot to mention I can't use the monitor's built-in menu feature on the screen when this is happening as well. I'm pretty sure it's probably the monitor but I just wanted a second opinion.

TStahler

Distinguished
Cables can go bad, but it is a highly unlikely result.

If you can get your hands on even an old CRT monitor to try it out on, that would even be great before just buying a new monitor. Even though quite honestly, I think that your monitor has bit the dust.

Solution