PC Build not performing well Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 (AMD Based)

thepants

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Hey guys,

Long time lurker and I have a question. I built a pc for my friend last Christmas, pulled the trigger on a great bundle deal from newegg (he had a limited budget). I was generally impressed at the specs for the price and it's no 1200-1500 behemoth but it should be fine for 1080p gaming IMO. Here's the specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
hec Zephyr MX 750W PSU
XFX HD 7850 1Gb GDDR5
AMD FX 8320 3.5 ghz (4 ghz turbo)
Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200 rpm 64MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Biostar TA970 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX Mb
1 Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 ram.

I had to turn everything down to lowest settings just to have a playable game on Guild Wars 2. Diablo 3 on lowest settings wasn't even smooth, I was kinda shocked to be honest. I've got the graphics drivers all up to date and the CPU isn't overclocked or anything. I'm kind of at a loss. What could I try to improve the PC's performance? I mean I've been reading reviews on the graphics card (since that was my first thought) and people say they can run BF3 on ultra with it, several other games on high all at 1080p and my friend isn't even pushing 1080p its some wierd resolution like 1400 x something (or high 1300 hundreds? I forget. It wasn't 1080p though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

did you
1/ install a 64 bit copy of windows
2/install the chipset drivers that came with the mb
3/ install the graphics drivers

IN THAT EXACT ORDER

Because if you didnt you should have and will have to go back and start again

thepants

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Yep. That's my usual order of things. Did a fresh windows install. Installed the mobo drivers (from the disc). Did windows updates. Installed the graphics card drivers. Updated them (graphics card drivers) last time I visited and ran into this issue.

thepants

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Any good uninstall methods for AMD drivers? I know it's not usually as simple as going to control panel and uninstalling. In the past I've used drivercleaner and afterwards Ccleaner. Then a restart and install the new drivers