First Time Tablet Buyer: Budget Advice?

Buy Now or Wait Til Christmas?

• Total voters

ladybastilla

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Note: I'm not totally sure this wound up in the correct category. My apologies if I've messed it up.

I'm looking at purchasing my first tablet, and I think I may actually have a unique question for you all. What I am wondering is whether it is smarter to buy a simple yet reliable tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" or 8", to see whether I really use this type of device--and what I use it for--first, or whether I should jump off the deep end and get something more expensive like the Samsung Galaxy Tab s 8.4 or Galaxy Note 10.1" (2014) right after Christmas.

There seem to be pros and cons to both options. I'll list those below.

Buy A Simple Tablet Now:

Pros:

-- I get to try it out immediately.

-- I am not risking as much money initially to see whether I will like this form of computing / entertainment; whether it will fit my lifestyle or not.

-- If this type of device isn't something I end up using a lot I have not invested, say, all my Christmas money on it.

-- If this type of device is for me and I like it, I will be more informed about what I actually use it for and will be able to make a more personally relevant decision about which more expensive tablet to purchase eventually.

-- Depending on what I buy, I may find that the device meets my needs and I don't 'need' a more expensive tablet for a while. (i.e. I didn't accidentally go "overkill" without realizing it.)

-- I can think of a whole slew of relatives who would love this kind of tablet if I decided to make a more pricey investment either at Christmas or further down the road.

-- If I have a nicely working 'starter' tablet for now, I am more likely to get involved in the Android community. This will result in knowing more about tablets / phones, and will lead to better care for my tech sooner.

-- The above would lead to me knowing more about how to handle a more expensive tablet when / if I eventually get it.

-- I would also be more willing to pay attention to when the *next* release of the designs I am interested in are coming out. By doing this, I would / will be able to save up for whichever model / version I want while still using, enjoying and learning from my starter device.

Cons:

-- If I totally love owning a tablet and want something better, I will have ultimately have spent "more" money, regardless of any 'research benefits'.

-- I may miss out on discovering the true purpose I was / am meant to use the device for due to specs / limitations of getting a less expensive device.

-- Regardless of findings, I will likely need to upgrade sooner if I do this than if I get something more powerful from word go.

Wait 'Til Christmas and Get Something Fancy:

Pros:

-- If I'm paying a premium, it only stands to reason that what I buy will work well and *should* work for a reasonable amount of time. (I'd like to get 2 years out of a high end tablet if I buy one. Is this reasonable?)

-- If I go this route, I will not have (as many) limitations on what my tablet can do right now. I will be able to fully explore what this type of device is capable of and see, absolutely and for sure, if it fits my lifestyle.

-- If I go this route I may be able to get an awesome deal on what I choose to get (holiday sales). (Although this could be a point for either side, really.)

-- If I buy one of these and don't end up using it, I can definitely say that it is me / my life, not the tablet, that is the part that didn't work out. I'll know not to buy another one.

Cons:

-- I will have to wait until Christmas.

-- If I do this and get the wrong tablet / don't end up loving tablets, then I wind up with a $400-$600 paperweight. Ouch.

-- It's completely possible that I could buy a tablet that is totally wrong for me, and spend a lot of money doing that. (Since I don't know, having never owned one, what I will actually use it for and what I only *think* I'll use it for.) (ex. Buying the Note 2014 when the Galaxy Tab s 8.4 would have suited me fine.)

-- I'm wondering if a more powerful, high end tablet may actually be kind of overwhelming to a first time user.

Current Budget: 200--250 max (+tax)
Holiday Budget: $700 max (+tax)

Starter Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" / 8" or Galaxy Tab 3 8" (Price would be better, but I know the processor and gfx would be behind the times.)

Storage Concern: I *know* I want 16gb of storage in the device, because I know (I own a Galaxy S3 phone) that apps can only go on the device. The 7" is more in my budget, but I prefer the 8" form factor and the extra space. ATM, though, the extra money is gonna hurt. *shrug*

Am I willing to look at other options?: Sure. Why not? Although I am suppose to be going tomorrow evening.

High End Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab s 8.4"; Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" (2014); Samsung Galaxy 8.0 (I realize the 3rd one is older, but I am intrigued by the s-pen and I like the 8 inch size for a tablet best, personally.) (Note: The original thread was posted on an Android forum. Since this area is neutral, I'd also be willing to consider the iPad Air or iPad Mini w/ Retina or their new models when announced.)

What I *think* I'll be doing with my tablet:

-- Basic Stuff: E-mail, Facebook, Twitter, GoodReads, Skype, YouTube, Netflix, forums, web browsing, ordering Dominos pizza (couldn't resist.)

-- Writing fiction. I have arthritis in my fingers and have discovered, via my brother's tablet, that sometimes I can get work done without hurting myself on a touch screen keyboard that I can't on a normal one. May sound weird, but it is what it is.

-- Utilizing apps that help with creativity, brainstorming and improving language and thinking skills. (Jotterpad, EverNote, Dictionary / Thesaurus, Wikipedia app, mind mapping ap, index card app, etc.)

-- Using it as an e-reader that I can actually, properly interact with for editing stuff on the go.

-- Digital cookbook / comic book reader / magazine stand.

-- Hobbyist / entry level digital sketching / coloring. (I realize I may not be able to do this efficiently unless / until I get a Note tablet.)

-- Backup for my writing files. Always good to have my novels and concept documents in as many places as possible so they are never lost.

-- Light gaming. I'm more likely to play stuff like 7 Little Words, Angry Birds or Bejeweled than something I could get on my PS3 / PS4 / Gaming PC.)

-- And I'm sure I'll have a ton of music on an SD card, so suggestions for a good music app are totally welcome, too.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading through all of this. If any of you could please let me know what you think I should do here, that would be great. Have a nice day!

Any quality brand tablet will work for you, I suggest a larger screen since you want to use it for books and comics, it's a lot easier to read a comic on a 10" screen than on a 7 or 8" one.

I was iffy about tablets, then started using some newer ones a few years ago, and went on to an iPad 4. I just sold my main fast laptop which was a high end ThinkPad with an Core i5 CPU since I found myself using a tablet almost all the time when I was not using my desktop PC.

Just stay away from the cheap generic tablets and just about anything will be good, once you pick a screen size.

For your writing, why not use voice recognition? Dragon Naturaly Speaking for home I think is $99 and no need to touch a keyboard for most of the time.

You can also look for used tablets, while I don't like the Apple computers, the tablets are really quality and work smoothly. The drawback is that it's harder to manipulate files and no SD card use. A used iPad 3 or 4 may be a good value, but you can also find some barely used great Android tablets for $200 that were $400 new.