Questions about going into the IT field - Degree/Certifications

ewa341

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Currently I am enrolled in a community college, getting my associates degree in Network Administration. Once I get that I am going to a university to get my bachelors. I have worked at a computer repair store in the past and loved it, and so I wanted a career where I could enjoy working with computers all day, and make enough money to support a family. My questions are:

1) Would a network admin degree be the best degree I could get that involved repairing or tinkering with computers on a daily basis? If not, then what is?

2) I have my COMP TIA IT Fundamentals certification, and plan on getting the A+, Networking+, and MSCE. Do I need these certifications if I have a network admin degree? Will it be easier to get a job with these certifications, and with a degree? Will these certifications get me a better paying job with a degree? What other certifications do you recommend for the IT field?

Solution
Things to consider :

- getting internship on great corporation or companies
- higher and more prestige certification such as CCNA
- be really good what you really are , and like......,
will impact alot on your interviews if you looking for
relevant work.

certification only tell the HR , oh yeah you ve paid that .... working in computer repair or place like best buy are good thing but getting A+ , Net+ will not get your $100K job even you graduate from Computer Science BA.

thats my point of views , and i also add it .... being good network engineer require at least good years working on the field and focus at least 6 years, ...to be able to reconsider good...

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Re: Degree vs. Certs: Both have their places. Certifications show a certain level of knowledge and expertise with regards to certain equipment, but a number of schools have popped up that literally just teach how to pass the certs and not how to do the day to day work of a Network Admin. The associate's degree will be enough to get you in at a help desk/lower level support position in a lot of places with the right certs, but if you want to be physically close to the hardware all day, there really isn't a great position except maybe as an all-in-one in a smaller company where you wouldn't have as much to manage.

Getting the bachelor's would open you up to a lot more positions, as the bachelor degree indicates a certain breadth of knowledge and work ethic that is starting to become the standard for most good positions depending on your region.

If you like your area, look at what people hire for, because that'll give you a better idea of what certifications are most valuable so you can strategize. Working in IT, don't rest on your laurels and always be learning new tech, and don't be afraid to look at other positions every two years at least. A lot of companies don't have as much upward mobility, so moving to a different company often is your only way up the chain.

Benteknik

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Things to consider :

- getting internship on great corporation or companies
- higher and more prestige certification such as CCNA
- be really good what you really are , and like......,
will impact alot on your interviews if you looking for
relevant work.

certification only tell the HR , oh yeah you ve paid that .... working in computer repair or place like best buy are good thing but getting A+ , Net+ will not get your $100K job even you graduate from Computer Science BA.

thats my point of views , and i also add it .... being good network engineer require at least good years working on the field and focus at least 6 years, ...to be able to reconsider good value $100K IT's probably ... $70K......

Solution