pc to monitor and tv connection won't mesh

labud

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Asus P5Q Deluxe, Core 2 Duo E8650 processor, 4 gb ram, GEforce 8400GS video card w/ VGA and DVI connections, SONY flatscreen monitor with VGA, Emmerson flatscreen TV with HDMI to DVI adapter connections.
I have a DVI to dual DVI/VGA adapter plugged in to DVI connection in graphics card on computer. I have connected the TV and the monitor to the dual adapter. If both are connected, neither the monitor or the TV is not recognized. If I connect the TV only it will display the computer screen and be recognized as a LCD TV. If I connect the monitor only it will display the computer screen and be recognized as the PC Sony monitor. I want to have both of them on at the same time. How can I do this? I had it working before, but it was hooked thru my VCR, which I no Longer have.

Solution
The 8400gs can do dual displays. Go ahead and hook the sony up to the vga port.
Most people extend to get a larger desktop and two seperate screens. Cloning would get you two displays with the exact same thing on them (mouse included)

labud

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

Yes my card does have more than one output. It has a DVI port and a VGA port, but I was told not to hook them up both at the same time. Is that wrong? Would I extend, duplicate or clone the displays?

popatim

Titan
The 8400gs can do dual displays. Go ahead and hook the sony up to the vga port.
Most people extend to get a larger desktop and two seperate screens. Cloning would get you two displays with the exact same thing on them (mouse included)

Solution

labud

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

Ok I hooked them both up [monitor & TV]. It took a while but they finally both came on. I tried to set it up to extend these displays but it wont work. It shows my desktop on the TV ok but the monitor only show part of my desktop. I tried to set it up as duplicate displays and it works better but the monitor and the TV have different screen sizes [monitor is square (1280x1024 and TV is rectangle1280x768 closest].
Any idea how to get the extended display working?
Thanks