Issue of the day on Tom's Forums

Today it's slow performance... only on TOms', not on other websites. Whatever your French programming team did to fix the 404/500 errors really sunk responsiveness.

Still unusable if pages won't load within a reasonable time.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I realize you want instant gratification, and I do too, but give it a few moments, would you? Things are a bit slow at the moment, yes, but it's returning to normal fairly quickly overall. The devs work hard to keep things running, I think you can cut them a bit of slack on this one considering they resolved the 404/500 issue almost immediately after isolating the problem.

:) We build our expectations on past performance. If it was fast once, it should be fast always. If I get cake once on Fridays, I expect cake every Friday,

If Toms' crew don't publish (or if I don't know where to look for) current, known issues, then I make a post here to alert them - just in case they don't know there is an issue.

Finally, it' wasn't "instant" gratification" I was seeking, but one page still wasn't t loaded 5-10 minutes later when I went back to that tab.

PS. Send the Frenchies my love. Are they in the D'Oc or the D'Or region of France? :)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Totally understandable, and I thank you for taking the initiative to report it. My apologies if I came across a bit short. There are about 5 or 6 threads about this, some of them within the mod team, and it has been a busy morning putting out fires and updating people across all the different threads.

Anyway, the site seems to be responsive again and I've gone about a half hour without running into any issues. We'll continue to monitor it, but things appear to be returning to normal again.

Systems don't stop working all on their own. It's because of something that someone has changed; and if that gets through to the end users then that is a failure. It's not as if there haven't been a host of problems with the site in the past week or so.

There is a magic wand - it's called quality assurance. You test changes adequately before applying them to a live system.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
There were no changes implemented, so quality assurance was not the issue. The problems were a result of our servers being aggressively crawled, and were not caused by anything the devs did. Please get your information straight before making baseless accusations.

just poking some fun .....
I understand what the deal is when there's issues just some folks think there's a magic wand that fixes things instantly and they should not feel inconvenienced ...

I get an issue here on something and it may take 2 clicks of the mouse to fix or it could be scratching my head for a day or two digging it out

Wow, what bubble do you live in? In online systems exposed to the Internet there can be a myriad of reasons why a system that was operating flawlessly one day can be a broken wreck the next. Networks an be outside the control of the programming team, so can what users do on the system and how many users or requests come in. A DDoS or any other attack may cause this.

And yes, while most problems theoretically can be preventable, cost justification of such measures might be prohibitive.

I know. We own and operate a small Internet service and we live in absolute fear all the time that it may be subject to some form of attack. Can we afford the services of a top-rate consultant to make the system impervious to attack? Can we afford all the infrastructure to ensure it can live past a DDod attack? No. We've had users write scripts to download stuff from our server that brought us to our knees and then we have to implement some measure to stop that.

We take it one problem at a time. As cost allow.

So if the site is suffering ongoing DDOS attacks then tell us. Don't hide behind excuses like "It's Amazon's fault" or "The Devs are looking into it". Aggressive crawling or DDOS attacks don't seem to be a job for developers but for the network guys.

I find the whole attitude towards these ongoing problems most unsatisfactory. This is a professional web site, not an amateur's blog.

Anyway, together with the revelation that "Best Answers" are being manipulated to make the "metrics" look better, I think these current problems are the last straw for me so perhaps it's time to take a break until you guys can get your act together.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Tom's Hardware is hosted on AWS, so obviously when Amazon chose to perform reboots of their servers a few weeks back, our sites went down with those servers. Why some people fail to grasp this concept and consider it an "excuse" is beyond me.

We do partner with them as well; when somebody clicks on an Amazon link from one of our articles and makes a purchase, a small percentage of it comes back to us as a sort of referral fee, so in a way, yes, they do collect a bit of data/sales information. As to the extent of what they collect, that I'm unsure of. It's probably no worse than Facebook or searching for something on Google.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Everything should be functional again. The problems experienced over the last day were isolated and resolved some hours ago. I've experienced no issues since early this morning (GMT-5) but if you happen to come across any, feel free to alert either myself or anybody on the moderation team.

You've got the right way of looking at it though! Life should not revolve around an online forum. If it happens to be inaccessible, take a break for a while and enjoy life. If the occasional forum hiccup (which lasted fewer than 24 hours this time!) causes you to blow a gasket, then it's probably time to reassess your life choices :p

only thing I see now is threads I respond to don't update or notify as it use to some time not at all unless I scroll by it and see someone answered after me or I have to go to tracked threads to see if something has changed [???]

things use to up date on the fly but it don't seem to do that now

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

I haven't run into any problems like that. I've gotten both email updates and forum notification updates consistently on all threads I follow. If that continues to happen to you, please document it (take screenshots when possible) and create a new thread for it so that it gets the proper attention instead of being buried in another thread. Right now, there's not much I can do about it as I don't seem to be able to replicate that, but if you can provide more information, I'll have somebody take a look at it.

Hi, junkeymonkey x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

Private messages 0 New updates x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

Ø
Overclocking Makes My Compu...

Answered by alannm37 - 12 minutes ago
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .
Ø
Hey guy , my hd7770 not wor...

Answered by boosted1g - 12 minutes ago
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .
Ø
MSI deleted my question on ...

Answered by klrman - 14 minutes

way behind here for me these are old but still there not updating at all

ya-- did the cookies thing and it clears it but it still don post refresh or up date it

now I may misspoke my tracked threads page is good e- mail notify is good - its just the notification box on the right side of like this page above the Ask the community thing thats not keeping up so I have to go look elsewhere to see if a thread has been responded to [???]