I need a new gaming monitor that doesn't cause eye fatigue or headaches

Philosophia

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
forgive me if this is a tad long winded. My brother's birthday is coming up and I would like to purchase him a second monitor for a dual monitor setup. He is currently using a Dell Alienware OptX AW2210 which are no longer sold and difficult to find.
He has tried to use two other monitors, the asus vg248qe and the BenQ XL Series XL2420TE. Both of these caused him to instantly get a headache and fatigue his eyes. Yet the alienware monitor is fine, he can use it for hours no problem. I don't know what causes this to occur, if he even glanced at the other two monitors while they were on he would get a terrible headache. Is there a gaming monitor that you all could recommend me to look into that won't cause him this problem. Thank you for you time and help.

The alienware monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260067

the Benq http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014350&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true&RandomID=3641050139922920131130165711

the asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&cm_re=asus_vg248qe-_-24-236-313-_-Product

Solution
Looks like your brother might have issues with LED backlighting that's on all the new monitors these days. If that is the case, you won't have too many options as standard LCDs with the single backlight generally aren't made anymore, you may have to look at used displays if that is the case.

Another possibility is that the extremely high refresh rate on those newer displays are causing it, the ASUS is 144Hz, and the BenQ is 120Hz, while your older Alienware monitor is a 75Hz display.

I would suggest that you take him out monitor shopping at a retail store, and see if you can find something that doesn't cause a headache for him, rather than take a guess at which monitor won't give him a headache. If the refresh rate is causing it...

sreeramnair

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Well bro, there is no monitor that doesn't cause headaches and eye fatigues. Go for the ASUS VG248QE Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor as it is more reliable than Alienware OptX AW2210. Along with it, buy him glasses with zero number (Plain Glass) so that he doesn't get eye fatigues and headaches during long gaming sessions. I use zero number glasses during my long gaming sessions of 4-5 hours. ;) Good Luck and advanced birthday wishes to your bro from me. I hope this helped you. :)

Philosophia

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

I think you may have missed the important part of my post. Those other two monitors he has tried caused him headaches instantly. I have the Asus vg248qe and if he even glances at my screen he will get a headache. The same incident occurred with the benq. That is what makes this so difficult. I don't know what causes these headaches or how to find a monitor that won't cause them.

Looks like your brother might have issues with LED backlighting that's on all the new monitors these days. If that is the case, you won't have too many options as standard LCDs with the single backlight generally aren't made anymore, you may have to look at used displays if that is the case.

Another possibility is that the extremely high refresh rate on those newer displays are causing it, the ASUS is 144Hz, and the BenQ is 120Hz, while your older Alienware monitor is a 75Hz display.

I would suggest that you take him out monitor shopping at a retail store, and see if you can find something that doesn't cause a headache for him, rather than take a guess at which monitor won't give him a headache. If the refresh rate is causing it, you can just get a monitor that only does 60Hz, if it's the LED backlighting, then your options get more limited.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS