Problem booting 2nd HDD old drive win xp on new dell win 8.1 desktop

Praza

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
New Dell Inspiron 3847 win 8.1 and trying to collect pics off old hard drive got guest and other users but can't get to files on last one(you do not have permission to view) to get mine. trying to boot from my old drive is not working (1tb hdd with win xp) even tried unplugging hdd with 8.1 figuring it should auto detect/boot the second hdd OS (xp) no luck any suggestions ? Would perfer to boot the second hard drive with XP and remove my password/security as i would like to try using second drive for trying Ubuntu out anyway so figuring how to boot second hard drive would be req. ty 4 any help

Pr3di

Honorable
If you have multiple partitions on the old drive, you can format the C: drive (or whatever partition you have windows installed on) and reinstall the windows you want.

The old HDD from a different PC will not work, because Windows on it is configured to the old hardware, and it will not work on a different PC.

So, remove the 8.1 HDD, and re-install the OS on the old one. After that you should be able to access it and get your data.

Praza

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
1. right click on the drive that you want to take ownership of (in my computer) and choose properties
2. click on the 'security' tab
3. click the 'advanced' button
4. click the 'Owner' tab
5. under 'change owner to:' select your username
6. check the 'replace owner on subcontainers and objects'
7. click Apply (may take some time)
8. click on the 'Permissions' tab
9. click the 'add' button
10. type 'everyone' for all users to be able to access the drive. Type your user name just for yourself. OK it.
11. click the 'full control' checkbox under 'allow.' OK it.
12. check the 'replace permission entries on all child objects...' checkbox
13. OK it (result may take some time)
14. OK the last window

I haven't done this in a while, so if I left out any steps, someone jump in please.