Which order to do things?

dholli02

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi Gang

I hope you are all well.

I'm coming into some money shortly, not a huge amount to buy PC parts, so I've got a dilemma.

I'm ideally building my rig around a MSI GTX 970 sli setup (I have one of these cards at the moment). But I have to upgrade my motherboard first (current one isn't SLI enabled). In addition, I was looking to upgrade my RAM (to corsair vengeance pro) and get a 120gb SSD.

So I'm left with a choice: get another MSI GTX 970 and save for the other parts (seems they are out of stock very quickly), or upgrade the motherboard, RAM, SSD and save for the second MSI 970 and risk missing out on the card.

What do you think?

Thank you all in advance

Solution
upgrade 3 items compared to just one ( that you already have).
The memory upgrade is minimal.. unless you have less memory than that... otherwise it will be linear and just "look cool" inside your box.
What about your PSU.. you might need more juice!

Gelid03

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I think go for the RAM, motherboard and ssd first. if you buy the card its just going sit there and look at you. That ssd will make a huge difference when you get it. What ram do you have now?

dholli02

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Thanks for the answer, my RAM is Samsung, 8gb, 1333mhz about 4 years old. Little bit slower compared to some of my friends set ups.

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
upgrade 3 items compared to just one ( that you already have).
The memory upgrade is minimal.. unless you have less memory than that... otherwise it will be linear and just "look cool" inside your box.
What about your PSU.. you might need more juice!

Solution