Questions from a newbie regarding performance increase

Wicked Wolf

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hello all. Hopefully you can bear with me as I am pretty new to PC gaming so have very limited knowledge about how this all works. I've researched what I can but there's so much I don't understand yet, and sometimes get answers that are very contradicting.

I've recently upgraded from a gtx770 to a gtx 980. My PC specs are as follows:

i7 4770k 3.5Ghz
MSI Z87-GD65
GTX 980 4GB
512 gb Samsung Pro SSD
32gb G-Skill 1887 RAM
Benq xl24te Monitor

When I upgraded from the 770 to the 980, I didn't uninstall any of the drivers. I basically installed the card, booted up and installed the most recent driver via Nvidia. First off, was this the wrong way to do it? Other than that, I haven't really updated any other drivers since building the PC recently. What else should be on the lookout for? The performance increase is noticeable, but really not as much as I expected and am wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong.

I also wanted to ask about overclocking; the processor and the card. Do you recommend doing this and if so, do you have a link to a good site where I can learn how to do so?

Sorry if this all sounds very scattered. As I said, I am still trying to learn and would appreciate any tips you all can provide. Thanks in advance.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey,

no need to remove old drivers. It's the same drivers package. It's natural that you see a big performance gain in some games and almost non-existent in others. You also don't need to worry about updating any other drivers if you are not running into any problems.

The GTX 980 is powerful enough as it is - I don't see point in overclocking it.
If you play some CPU intensive games (usually MMOs) you can overclock your CPU but it will depend on what CPU cooler you have.

Wicked Wolf

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Yes I do play an MMO, Elder scrolls online, quite a lot. It's actually where it seems the performance is underwhelming. Would over clock help here? If so, do you know of a good site where I can learn about how to do that with my current CPU? I am not sure what the cooler is.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah MMOs are more CPU than GPU dependent, there is a point where no matter how powerful your GPU is you won't see any performance gain. It's not that simple but in general you would probably see some improvement if you overclocked your CPU.

You could take a look at the overclocking part of the forums and maybe ask for some general guidance on overclocking your specific CPU. I'm saying general as every CPU overclocks differently even if it's the same model.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum-29.html