Pursuing CIS Degree - NEED SOME ADVICE!

conor1123

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Right now i'm attending my local CC and i'm on track to leave there with an associates in business. Then, I will then transfer right into my local university and finish up with my bachelor's in CIS. That's my first and more generic pathway. I know in the IT world experience is KING so here's what I was thinking: My CC has what they call the "Network Academy" where you can take Linux/MS/Cisco courses and eventually leave with an associates in networking administration. All of these classes also prep for A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP. Now my question is, should I veer off track for a bit and take these courses to maybe get into some kind of entry level position faster and climb what ladders I can earlier instead of waiting to finish my CIS degree and graduating with nothing. Then if all works out I can continue my CIS degree and finish it up after. Just will take longer.

Let me know what you think, Thanks!

Solution

Finish the degree, if you have time/money, take classes for the certs or buy the books and teach yourself. Most are designed to be learned independently, so as long as...

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Look at what positions look for in your area. Most entry-level positions want a degree or equivalent experience (2 to 4 years in industry, depending on the employer), so unless you're willing to help desk for 2-4 years, you're usually better off getting the degree. This is mostly in response to for-profit schools teaching students zero except how to get certs creating a glut of clueless people with good-looking (on paper) qualifications.

conor1123

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

From what I see around here, most look for a degree AND the certs. So maybe just going for the degree would be better?

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

Finish the degree, if you have time/money, take classes for the certs or buy the books and teach yourself. Most are designed to be learned independently, so as long as you're working with appropriate equipment, it's just learning how the companies want the questions answered for certs (and paying for the tests).

Solution