First PC build, need advice.

Tinper

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Hey guys. So I am doing my first personal build. I've built systems for friends before, but never had to decide on my own parts.

So this is what I got(or am getting):

Asus Maximuss VII Ranger Motherboard

Intel i7-4790k CPU

Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Omega edition GPU

Western Digital 1TB Black Drive HDD

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB RAM

And lastsy a Corsair RM 650 Power supply.

So while I am pretty happy with what I am getting, there is always room for improvement.

I want the best performance, but for a reasonable price. I am not gonna be overclocking right out of the box, only later down the line when I need to squeeze out every bit I can get.

So, my question is: What improvements could I make to this sytem price/performance wise? What case would you recommend for pure air cooling, but with the ability to expand to water cooling later?

ZeusGamer

Admirable
IF it's just for gaming? You won't be needing an i7 4790K, you'll only need an i5 4690K.

ALSO, instead of getting the GTX 980, you should get the GTX 970 SLI instead.

Two GTX 970s in SLI would blow that GTX 980 out of the water.

Tinper

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
I have no experience with SLI, but I have just head alot of bad stuff about it, mostly stuff like stuttering etc.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

You won't really notice it with Nvidia's GPUs. It's more of AMDs problem.

Their drivers are way better than what you get in AMD. You won't have any problems there.

Tinper

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
And an i5 would be perfectly fine to run this setup? I want really good performance and future proofing

ZeusGamer

Admirable

An i5 4790K would be perfect man.

Are you gonna be doing some heavy video editing?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Here's i7 4790K and i5 4690K comparison: [link]

Take it for what it is. In gaming, the difference between the two are like the difference between two of the same GPUs with different brands. Absolutely nothing. But when it comes to workload applications, the i7 would do hell of a lot better. But the $100 price tag difference? It's up to you to think if it's worth it.

Tinper

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Alright man, thank you for the advice! Was much needed! I'll look more into the CPU and an SLI config

ZeusGamer

Admirable

No problem man.

Glad to be of help.

Please do update us what you ended up doing lol.