Either Bad Motherboard or CPU. Which to replace first?

StevesPad

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hello. I have an ASUS P5QL PRO / Q9550 system that, after some storms, would not POST. I followed all the great troubleshooting steps offered here. To the best of by ability, I believe I either have a bad motherboard, a bad CPU, or both. So I have purchased an exact replacement for each. If only one component turns out to be bad I would like to be able to return the other item. My question: Which should I install first? The new motherboard using the old CPU? Or the new CPU using the old motherboard? Which is more likely to have failed? And, might I damage one of the new parts by doing it this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the informative site!

So your PC is starting up and showing no display ??

If it is then remove every connections from the PSu to the motherboard , remove the ram ,GPU,BIOS battery also the front panel connectors and any other USB device clean them and put them, back together.

try this and let me know.

StevesPad

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Thanks prit87. I thought I had replied to your post some time ago, but apparently I didn't do it right. I have since gotten my PC back up and running. I ended up ordering both motherboard and CPU, exact replacements for what I had. I then replaced the motherboard first ... using the old CPU. The system came up fine after that. I returned the unused CPU for a refund. So all is well. Thanks again.