Need new router to take advantage of connection speed increase

LicoriceTattoo

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hello,

Charter recently bumped up our download speed from 30Mbps to 100Mbps. I currently have a Cisco Linksys E1200 router. This was fine when my top speed was 30 Mbps, but now, while I DO get the new faster speed (~90 Mbps) when hardwired into it, my wireless devices still speedtest around 30 Mbps. I realize I'm probably missing something obvious here, but can someone explain why I'm not seeing higher speeds with wireless devices? My router claims to support 300Mbps.

I also tried a Netgear WNR2000 N300. With this I got better wireless speeds (around 45Mbps) but that's it.

I am running speedtest with an iPhone 5, and an iPad 3rd gen. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Try looking at this site. You must be very careful though this does not mean you will get these numbers because your house is different than their testing environment. The speed you see on your wireless are pretty average and around what most people get. To get above 100m your pretty much need 802.11ac routers.

Also be aware the router is only half the wireless connection. The nic in your devices has as much if not more influence on the speed you can get.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

LicoriceTattoo

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for the link. However according to that table, my current router should be delivering 94 Mbps down wirelessly. I can't get much more than 30.

Again, hardwired into it I can get in the 90s. But not from iphone 5.

You are reading the table wrong it say for a e1200 you get 48m down.

There is actually no way to predict what you get since the speed is affected by your house and the number of neighbors using wireless near you.

You need to use this table as a general guide not as some number you are going to get. It give you a general way to compare classes of devices. Even the site mentions that you can't actually compare results because it is based on their testing environment and even that has changed a bit over time.