Is there a Hardware survey in this forum?

Vitric9

Distinguished
I doubt there is something like steam uses for detecting GPU types. But would it be useful in Forum such as Tom's Hardware? ...
The only reason I thought of this was the spec listings in threads on members.

Solution
Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're looking at it from a privacy standpoint), web browsers disclose very little information about the underlying platform. The most you get is browser & version, OS & version, and maybe what CPU architecture. All that is easily spoofable.

I guess you could try to use a Java applet, but they have a reputation for being hugely insecure. About the only thing that I can see working would be a skinned CPU-Z that validates to TH servers and automatically ties it to your username. Probably not cheap.

It would also have to be entirely opt-in, because there's a good chance that people would either be running an unsupported OS (e.g. tablet), or don't want to run reasonably untrusted software.
D

Deleted member 217926

No we don't have an automated way of detecting specs. You can certainly list your specs in your sig ( as I have ) either manually or by linking to a CPU-Z report.

I actually like the idea of something like what Steam uses. It would stop people from 'exaggerating' their specs! Or even worse people who list builds that they will have 'later' at some point. Not sure how easy that would be to implement though.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're looking at it from a privacy standpoint), web browsers disclose very little information about the underlying platform. The most you get is browser & version, OS & version, and maybe what CPU architecture. All that is easily spoofable.

I guess you could try to use a Java applet, but they have a reputation for being hugely insecure. About the only thing that I can see working would be a skinned CPU-Z that validates to TH servers and automatically ties it to your username. Probably not cheap.

It would also have to be entirely opt-in, because there's a good chance that people would either be running an unsupported OS (e.g. tablet), or don't want to run reasonably untrusted software.

Solution