Recommendations and info on power supplies and graphics cards

Michelle_S

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I was wondering about what to look for when purchasing a power supply unit, and if anyone could give me a recommendation for a graphics card and power supply that would fit in my budget? I can afford to pay any where around 200 dollars for both items, but I only know a bit about what is compatible with my pc.

My specs: http://

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Man! A lot of people must buy HPs. This forum is full of folks that can't get their retail cards to work on HP computers. It appears that HP 'locks' their MB BIOS so that you don't use a card that isn't sanctioned by them. I'd nose around the HP forum and ask what cards are known to work in that PC.

Michelle_S

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I'm not necessarily having an issue yet, but I have heard of many complaints with crossfiring and people trying to use discrete graphics cards with APUs; so I am just trying to be cautious before making a purchase.

HD6450, HD6570 and HD6670 are the three cards that you can use to CrossFire your APU's integrated graphics with, so that you can use both in games, however the HD7770 will be stronger than that crossfire setup, and it's a relatively cheap GPU now.
As for a power supply unit, you could look at the Corsair CX430; it's a relatively cheap and good power supply. I know many people will advise you not to go for a CX, but with the budget, you won't be able to tax it anyway.
As you stated your budget is 200 dollars; the PSU will be eating $40 and if you can get a NVIDIA card, then the 750Ti is great at $140. It doesn't require a supplimentary power connector; it's quiet and power efficient.

Another route you could take is sacrifice a little on the graphics card now and go for a good power supply around $100, such that you'll be able to upgrade to a GTX 760 or so in the coming months, or if you want to go AMD, you could even get a R9 270x or 280.

Michelle_S

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks; I don't have much knowledge on AMD when it comes to graphics cards, but I know that Nvidia is always reliable, and I have heard that the PSU that you recommended is fairly good. I will probably go for those when I order my parts, and I am assuming that they are both compatible with my PC, and that you have checked... Thanks again!