System specs

• Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT­-USB3
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    Memory: 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte R9 270X, 2GB
    Power Supply: 650W, Corsair VS650
    PS/2 keyboard, USB mouse

I bought this pc in february, since then the only serious problem I had was a BSOD caused by the graphics drivers and after I installed the newest ones (14.2 beta or something like that), no more BSOD’s until 2 days ago.

I was writing a coursework in google docs and the computer froze, the keyboard wasn’t working, the mouse light turned off, the hard drive light turned solid and after a while (20-30 seconds) a blue screen showed up but I couldn’t see the error message because the pc restarted almost immediately.

I checked blue screen viewer but there was no dump file for this BSOD. I started writing again and after a while (15 minutes maybe) another freeze but this time the keyboard was working, I opened task manager, nothing interesting there and then I tried restarting through the start menu but the blue screen was faster. And again there was no dump file.

The next BSOD was after 30 minutes maybe, again in docs. I thought that google docs was the problem, so I stopped using it. I also installed all of the important updates from windows update. There were no problems for the rest of the day but on the next I got a freeze+BSOD in the LoL launcher after I’ve played two games and one dota 2 game before that.

Again no dump files, so I checked event viewer, there was some error about aoddriver 4.2 which didn’t appear before the BSOD’s started. Apparently it has something to do with the graphics drivers, so I uninstalled them and removed the aoddriver 4.2 folder from the registry. I still got a freeze+BSOD.

I installed the latest drivers (14.9.1) and the BS continued. After the first blue screen of the second day it became more random (freeze+BSOD while waiting for windows update, in chrome, while downloading something, in firefox, on the desktop). It happened several times while I was watching a youtube video which started playing in something like a slow-mo.

After one BSOD I turned the computer off/on and for 35-45 minutes there were no problems. I turned it off again and went to bed. Today the freezes started again, seemingly at random. I tried playing an old game: no problems, then world of tanks: freeze+bsod, warframe: the mouse turned itself off but the game was still running and the keyboard was working, after a while I got a red screen (I guess it was a BSOD) and the pc restarted.

I took the computer to a nearby computer repair shop thing, told them what the problem was, they said that I should try reinstalling windows and if the problem persists to bring it back. I tried reinstalling twice, the first time I got a freeze+restart while the setup was copying files and the second time it worked.

After that I didn’t have any problems for 30 minutes but then (6 minutes before the shop’s closing time) I got the same thing, freeze+bsod in google docs. Now an hour has passed with no freezes but 20 minutes ago my mouse stopped working (the light is on) while I was writing this post. I tried another usb port and the mouse now works. I’m forgetting some things but I’ll just post this now before something worse happens.

EDIT: The BSOD error is Critical Process Has Died, before that (the second day I think) I saw Kernel Data Inpage Error several times but after that only the critical process error appears.

EDIT 2: Two hours have passed since the last BSOD, new record!

EDIT 3: I ran DLG it passed the quick test but after 6 minutes of the extended test the mouse turned itself off, keyboard was still working and after a while I got a "Too many bad sectors detected" message, the keyboard stopped too and the BSOD followed.

EDIT 4: I tried ubuntu liveUSB and while watching a youtube video the mouse stopped working, the video sped up but ubuntu was still usable using the keyboard. So, I have bad sectors and mouse problems or what?

EDIT 5: I ran DLG again (extended test) and for an hour and a half there were no problems but then another freeze+BSOD occured.

aoddriver 4.2 is a graphic card overclocking driver. Uninstall this driver and reboot.
This driver can cause your graphics driver /hardware to deadlock where it will not update your screen and appear to hang your system. IE driver is waiting for a signal that it missed because of a timing problem and it waits forever because the signal was already sent. Windows did put some check in for this condition and might reset your graphics hardware but the driver will just reset the clock speeds to the card and the condition will not be fixed until the overclock driver is removed.

Sometimes if windows gets control it will bugcheck int the windows code.

bad sectors detected: hard drive or connection/port to the drive has problems
I would make sure I had current chipset drivers and that the device is connected to a good port.

if it is a old drive, when is the last time you did a full format of the drive (not a quick format)

windows will try to read data off of bad sectors and relocate it. It is a painful process that can take a long time. Help it along by deleting software you don't need, empty the recycle bins, delete any browser cache, ...
Windows will not try to recover data from bad sectors if the file is deleted.

also, what interface is the drive that has the bad sectors report using. (I assume SATA, not a USB interface)

since you had bad sectors reported. You need to verify your windows install
run cmd.exe as an admin
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm it does not report errors it did not fix.

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
bad sectors detected: hard drive or connection/port to the drive has problems
I would make sure I had current chipset drivers and that the device is connected to a good port

if it is a old drive, when is the last time you did a full format of the drive (not a quick format).
It's a new drive, I got it with the other components. I trust that the guys who build it, connected it to a good port and I haven't even opened the case since then and the first thing that I did when I got the pc was to install win 8.1 and the chipset drivers (for win 7 because there weren't any for 8) also yesterday was the first time I've reinstalled windows since then and the only program that I have installed is google chrome. I have DLG and blue screen viewer but they were small downloads and don't need to be installed.

windows will try to read data off of bad sectors and relocate it. It is a painful process that can take a long time. Help it along by deleting software you don't need, empty the recycle bins, delete any browser cache, ...
Windows will not try to recover data from bad sectors if the file is deleted.
The only big data I have are the windows files.

also, what interface is the drive that has the bad sectors report using. (I assume SATA, not a USB interface)
Yes, SATA.

since you had bad sectors reported. You need to verify your windows install
run cmd.exe as an admin
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm it does not report errors it did not fix.
It didn't find any integrity violations.

if you get a bugcheck, put the memory dump on a server so it can be looked at with a windows debugger.
a kernel inpage error indicate that data could not be read from storage.

it could be caused by memory corruption (the address to read from is corrupted)
or errors returned from the storage subsystem. Generally, with memory corruption a memory dump will be created. if it is a failure in the storage subsystem and you have only one drive a memory dump will not be created.

So, if you have a memory dump for this then run a memory test on your system
memtest86.
no memory dump, you have to figure out why. Start with a BIOS update, and enable hotswap for your SATA port. check your cable cable connections and power connections to your drive. Make sure your drive is on a primary chipset SATA controller not a secondary controller on your motherboard.

when you run windows make sure you have updated CPU chipset drivers.
(most likely not a issue with windows 8.1 but do check)

cool, bit errors. Update your BIOS if you have not done so, then retest your memory.
if it still fails you will have to check and specify your memory primary and secondary timings. Or pull out memory modules and Isolate the bad memory stick and replace if you can not get a good test run.

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Aahh, updating BIOS is risky and I haven't done it before. What do you think is the source of the problem? Failing RAM, bad sectors, the motherboard? Could the "too many bad sectors detected" message be a false positive caused by the freeze that occurred then? Do the mouse problems indicate a mobo problem or maybe the RAM is responsible for that? I think the best I could do is just take the computer to the repair shop guys and tell them to try another RAM stick/Hard drive.

you really don't have a choice about the update of the BIOS.
The BIOS will set RAM primary and secondary timings to your RAM. These timings may not be exposed to the user in the BIOS so you may not be able to set them directly. The BIOS update will also put in patches to fix known bugs in the electronics of the CPU.

Any errors you get while you have RAM that is corrupting memory are suspect. The files on the drive can be checked for corruption by the system file checker but with bad RAM the data is modified as it is being copied to memory.
The driver that gets copied to the bad memory location will not work correctly. Windows changes the order it loads drivers on each boots so the symptoms change depending on which driver is loaded in the BAD ram.

You could assume that your BIOS is perfect but then you have to assume your RAM is bad. Sometimes it is just a bad default settings that the BIOS will have a update for. (look at your motherboard website and see if there is a update and why it was updated)

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I just checked my BIOS version and it appears to be the latest. The version that I have is the only one on the website. But apparently, I had the wrong usb and audio drivers before the reinstall.

cool, some old usb drivers corrupt memory of other drivers. hopefully it will be the cause of your failure.
see if you get a bugcheck, if you do, put the memory dump on a server to be looked at.

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I just checked the windows folder and there was a memory dump and a mini dump from today. And this is the information from whocrashed:
On Sun 19.10.2014 г. 5:08:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101914-8000-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (0xFFFFF800019B6E15)

On Sun 19.10.2014 г. 5:08:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (USBXHCI+0x17E15)

I don't think that this is the problem, though. It's probably just another bsod. No idea why it happened now, I haven't installed any drivers since the reinstall yesterday.

those are usb drivers for your usb ports. Old version could corrupt memory because of bugs. They can also be the root cause of lots of problems. I have seen them cause CPU cores to hang, disk drives to go to 100% usage.
(mostly caused by a interaction of windows Plug and Play and the bad usb driver)

also, figuring out USB problems with a memory dump generally requires a kernel or full memory dump rather than a minidump.
(you would have to change your dump type from mini dump to kernel dump or full memory dump to figure out USB problems)

the update of the USB chip driver generally fixes most of the usb problems except for the USB wifi Ethernet thumb devices.
Those tend to need new drivers because the default one is broken.

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I just got another freeze+BSOD while I was trying to format the other local disk. That's for a second time. This seems to be the best way to reproduce the BSOD.

Confirm your machine is configured to make a memory dump.
also, check the setting to see where the memory dump is being placed. Confirm that the memory dump is not in that location.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/204214-dump-file-change-default-location.html

if your system is having problems with its storage system the memory dump would not be written.
In that case you have to check the cables, put your data cable on another SATA port. Try to use a primary port rather than a secondary support chip SATA port. If you have a BIOS setting that allows hotswap of drives. enable it for your drive/port.
Most likely failure for a SATA port will be in a port connected to a non standard SATA controller (add on chipset). Check the connections because you can get poor connections that make and break the electrical connections several times a second depending on the vibration of the drive and the temperature.
don't assume the connection is good because the drive boots, it will also boot with lots of read errors on a bad connection. if you use fast boot, often you can even boot the system with the drive disconnected. (fast boot keeps windows in ram and provides current to prevent it from failing until a full shutdown or hybrid sleep)
if there is a bug in the driver for your sata port the device will get reset by windows and cause the drive to disconnect. If the BIOS does not allow hot swapping, the device will not auto reconnect windows will not be able to write to the device until the computer is reset. the more memory you have in your system the longer you can have the drive disconnected before you get a bugcheck. I have see system with 12GB of ram bugcheck 4 or 5 hours after the drive disconnected.

JagdCake

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
It is configured but the only dumps I got were from the usb drivers BSOD. The computer repair shop will be open in an hour, so I'll just take it there and tell them what I know, they will check the connections. I just hope it's nothing expensive to fix. I barely have enough money for a new hard drive. Anyway, thanks for the help.