GTX 980 Not performing as it should?

adampcpower

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I recently upgraded my new system from an r9 280x to an MSI gtx 980 GAMING card. I first played some borderlands 2 just because i got it on some sale and noticed pretty extreme FPS drops in big encounters even though my GPU load % and CPU usage % werent maxed at all.

so I tried alot of things out and have come to a strange conclusion. I stopped trying on Borderlands 2 because i was getting sick of the insane FPS drops and it was making the game basically unplayable whenever i had to fight more than 4 dudes at once. I was itching for borderlands though so i got the Pre-Sequel because i saw on some review benchmarking site that the gtx 980 and 970 were geting >100 FPS playing it. So i get through a couple hours, solid 60 fps, but i am now in the first expansive/open part of the game and now encounters with groups of enemies cause frame dips - and also frame dips for no real reason in the open area. The dips are way less frequent and severe than in BL2 but notable enough to be frustrating. So i tried my other games in my steam library. Payday 2 and Payday (because they were free this weekend) both ran at the 60 frame cap but both had dips to the same amount very frequently. Like clockwork it would dip to 50 FPS without reason for a few seconds every 2 mins or something. I tried dota 2 and would frame dips in big team fights sometimes when ive never had framedips at same settings with worse GPUs.

SO THEN i tried a boatload of benchmarks, Unigine Valley, Unigine Heaven, 3D Mark 11, 3D Mark 2013, and when comparing my results to other gtx 980s they seem more or less on point.
So i have conluded that this is either a faulty card (?) or just bad drivers? I think i am going to do a clean restore of windows 8.1 and start from scratch. I had a r9 280x previously in the system before i got the 980 and while i thought i followed the necessary steps to totally wipe the old drivers i heard that if not done properly it could slow down your card and do this (I hope).

Looking online i dont see others with this issue if it even is an issue. I just feel like this $550 is not performing as it should with me not being able to find a single game i play that can hold a stable FPS while my old 280x seemed to be able to way more. Is there a reason that benchmarks show that this card is working but in games it doesnt do as well. Is there a way to verify my card is working? ANy help is welcome

adampcpower

Honorable
May 26, 2012
i dont think its downclocking, im watching MSI afterburner the whole time. It dosent even get above 60 degrees about even when at 100% load during benchmarks

vladtenet

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hey man I got one GTX 980m and I am with this same problem. Do you have the solution? I have tried everything!