How can I run a 4k Gsync and a 1080p 144hz monitor together but seperate?

Aziano

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
I have a new 4k Gsync monitor and it's Glorious for sure. However I am wondering if I can still run my 1080p 144hz monitor as well and be able to switch on the fly using one or the other depending on the game?

While I think I could get used to the 4k 60hz with Gsync on FPS games such as Counter Strike, and Gsync does make 60hz much better, I still feel the 144hz provides a slight advantage over 60hz, even with Gsync. 144hz is faster and gives a slight increase in response and speed/smoothness in FPS games.

I play a lot of different games so I will be keeping the 4k Gsync monitor. Shadows of Mordor is stunning at 4k! And I doubt I could go back to 1080p now anyway!

I guess I am wondering if I can have my cake and eat it too when it comes to FPS games?

So the question is; can I have both monitors hooked up and be able to either designate which game uses which monitor or have a way to switch on the fly easily to accomplish that?

I am using Windows 8.1, with 2 Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970's Overclocked in SLI. Each 970 has 3 DP ports, 2 DVI's and 1 HDMI and have the capability to hook up 4 monitors simultaneously.

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
You can have both monitor set up running off a gpu but your fps will be a bit lower because of having two monitors hooked up. In some games it lets you designate which monitor to play on, if not you can just change the primary monitor if windows screen resolution to accomplish the monitor change. Once the correct monitor is the main display launch the game and it will work on the display. Remember if you were playing a game on 4k and try switching to 1080p with same game it might not open because the resolution exceeds the monitor. To fix this use geforce experience to change the resolution.

Sorry for the long read hope this helps.

dominirican3351

Reputable
May 10, 2014
You can have both monitor set up running off a gpu but your fps will be a bit lower because of having two monitors hooked up. In some games it lets you designate which monitor to play on, if not you can just change the primary monitor if windows screen resolution to accomplish the monitor change. Once the correct monitor is the main display launch the game and it will work on the display. Remember if you were playing a game on 4k and try switching to 1080p with same game it might not open because the resolution exceeds the monitor. To fix this use geforce experience to change the resolution.

Sorry for the long read hope this helps.

Solution