Is my GPU overclock safe?

thelanceleader

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
It's a GTX 670MX 3GB (laptop GPU) with stock speeds of 601 mhz core, 700 mhz memory. I've used Afterburner for the past year to overclock it +135/+700 mhz so that it runs at 736 mhz core, 1050 mhz memory. Temperatures have always been 80-82c, never going over that. Now I decided to go a little further, increasing the memory clock by an extra 200 mhz (I did so in increments, of course), so that it's now 736 mhz core, 1150 mhz memory. I settled at +900 mhz because at +1000 mhz I got artifacts and crashes. 950 mhz was fine (I didn't test it too much) but too close to +1000 so I decided to play it a little safe and dial down to +900. Anyways, now my GPU temps are 82-84c. So far I haven't had a problem, only with the +1000 mhz experience, but I would like to know if it is safe to continue at the new speeds, or even at my previous overclock speeds. Are those temperatures good for a laptop GPU? It has only the stock thermal paste applied to Clevo/Sager notebooks.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Those temps arent bad, usually peoples overclocked laptops exceed the 90's range.
Have you already sped up the fan speed? in MSI AB?

I usually would not recommend overclocking on a laptop as temps reach much higher in laptops, but since it's a laptop try not to exceed the 90's range. You're very close. Usually the barrier is about 80 degrees max. Also what you could try is buying a laptop cooling bracket so that when you're stationary you can use it to bring your temps down.

-good luck