Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Overheating to +100°C!!

Edszx

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Well, this is my problem, i have this pc i need to check, its owner said that it was shutting down for itself every 2-5 minutes of work.

I open the Case, dismounted and cleaned all the components, Then, when i turned it on i noticed (on bios "pc health" page) that the temps on the CPU are going from 90°C to 120°C!! [:edszx:1]

How a Pc that has been turned on for like.... 2 minutes can get those temps!.... oh and then it shuts down (obviously)

This is what i know at the moment:

- All fans are working correctly (1 intake at left side, CPU fan, and 1 exhaust at back)

- No components are Overclocked

- MOBO has temps going from 30°C to 45°C (normal)

- GPU has good temps too

- Ambient Temperature is 20°C so i suppose is not a problem

PC Specs:

S.O: Windows 7 32 Bits SP1

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz (No OC)

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Mhz

MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

GPU: 1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (DDR2)

HDD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp SH-S223L

Thanks in Advance! [:edszx:5]

Solution
It seems that it is more than likely the CPU heat sink. Try cleaning off the thermal paste that came stock and then put on something more expensive for better temperatures. Another way to test without something expensive is buying a cheap thermal paste and then seeing if it helps at all. One other thing it could be is that the heat sink is not seated properly. Check those two things and see what your results are.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It seems that it is more than likely the CPU heat sink. Try cleaning off the thermal paste that came stock and then put on something more expensive for better temperatures. Another way to test without something expensive is buying a cheap thermal paste and then seeing if it helps at all. One other thing it could be is that the heat sink is not seated properly. Check those two things and see what your results are.

Solution

Edszx

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

i already did both things, and none of them worked at all u.u

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Shot in the dark but could it be a bios issue or a driver issue, you never know. I would have suggested the same as scorpinock.

Does the cpu idle safely in bios? dont boot to the OS and monitor the temp with a physical thermometer.

Edszx

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

It dont idle safely in bios (well unless 110°C is safe)

Read the post... all fans working, thermal paste aplied correctly, checked temps in bios and in speccy, and cpu usage is <5%...