Need advice on monitor issue - graphics card and power supply problem?

Yandoy

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
The monitor screen of my 7 year old HP desktop has become unstable recently. A few days ago, the message "no video signal" appears and the monitor turned black completely and the system seemed to have shut down and did not respond no matter what I did. I could not activate or reboot it, except by shutdown by force. On reboot, the system data look like blurred black and white squares flashing all over the screen. It then changes color by itself with red or blue vertical lines on the background, and then shuts down and on again by itself. It can then reboot only in safe mode, and there are always red or blue vertical lines on the background. Based on my internet research, I think there are problems with the graphics card and/or the power supply. Can someone please advise what I can do to fix the problems -- replace the graphics card, or upgrade the power supply, or both? If so, what graphics card and/or power supply will you recommend. My desktop is used primarily for home office computing, web browsing and video watching, and I don’t play games or watch TV or movies on it. I don’t want to spend too much on this and yet want quality and reliable products.

The specs of my HP desktop are:
HP Pavilion M8048hk
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @1.8GHz
Socket 775
Bus speed 800MHz
Memory 1GB
Hard drive 500 GB (2 x 250 GB) @ 7200 rpm
RAM 2GB
Windows Vista Home Premium
Power supply 300W

Monitor: HP w1907

Graphics card: GeForce 7500LE
Ports: VGA, S-video, DVI
Interface: PCI Express x 16
Max resolution:
VGA 2048 x 1536 x 32 bpp @ 75Hz
S-Video up to 1024 x 768
Onboard memory: 256 MB
No support for VGA and S-Video at the same time.
No onboard graphics hardware to display video.

Please advise if you think there are other problems with my PC. Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
G
I would suggest that you change your graphics card because your system does power on. If you replace it and still get the problem, then you can try replacing your power supply.

Suggestions: R7 240
Geforce GT610
Geforce 8400 gs
G

I would suggest that you change your graphics card because your system does power on. If you replace it and still get the problem, then you can try replacing your power supply.

Suggestions: R7 240
Geforce GT610
Geforce 8400 gs

Solution

jb6684

Distinguished
You monitor is LCD, so, not likely a problem. If system boots, power supply is okay.

So, I'd agree, GPU is the issue: turn on the system and check that the Fan On the 7500LE GPU card is spinning. Second remove the graphics card and remove all the dust and dirt from fan and cooler. Put the card back in the system to see if that helps. (dirty cards overheat, and very quickly if the fan on the card stops, that leads to artifacts like lines and random squares on the monitor)

Yandoy

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Thanks superkill13, for your suggestion. It took me a long time to find a graphics card which is compatible with my pc with power supply of 300W only. I finally got a GeForce 610 and the problem with the screen was resolved. However, my PC seems to become a lot slower after the graphics card change. Is there anything I can do about this?

Yandoy

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Thanks jb6684. I cleaned the graphics card and the fan and cooler before posting my question, but it did not help. I have just got a new graphics card as suggested by superkill13 and the problem was resolved. Thanks for your advice anyways.