New Build - Power button is not working now

jefdav84

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hello all, I started a new build for my brother last night, and now have one small issue. The power button does not work now. We got everything set up last night and everything powered on. We turned the PC off and moved it to another location to finish the set up, and then it didn't power up.

I then went on to do some troubleshooting by checking all cables, motherboard panel wires to mobo, another power supply. I read online to try and use the Reset SW in the Power SW pins on the mobo, and this worked. I then got curious and opened the top of the case to look at the other end of the panel wires (rosewill blackhawk) and noticed that the wires going in to the power switch seemed to be cut. Now I don't know if it just came from the factory barely hanging on and by moving the case from one location to another it came loose or what.

My questions are

1) Should we RMA the case
2) Would it hurt the system at all to just keep the reset sw in the power sw slot? My brother said he doesn't mind this at all, but was wondering if it would hurt the system.
3) Has anyone seen or ran into this sort of issue before?

Thanks everyone for reading.

RealBeast

Titan
Yup, I've seen lots of broken switches and cut or shorted wires. It won't hurt anything to use the reset as the power switch by attaching its wires to the power header pins and leaving the wires for the power switch disconnected. You can replace the wire too -- it is pretty easy to do and you just need a piece of roughly the same size wire that is long enough. I would just take the wire to a nearby hardware store and get about 3 feet so you have plenty. You can then either attach it to the switch or use a small gel cap wire connector to connect it to the wire where it is cut. You can also get those connectors at the hardware store in a small size.

While you could RMA it, that would be a big hassle and it should be an easy fix. If you are willing to use the reset switch for a while, you could also contact Rosewill support and have them send you a new switch with the wires attached to replace the bad one. I've done that on many occasions with Antec and other case makers.