My monitor is getting the message "No signal detected"

BrennantheGamer

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
About 1 month ago, I built a gaming PC and it worked fine. About a week in to using my new PC, I was playing BF3 and it randomly shuts off. Pressing the power button didn't do anything. I realized it was probably a surge because I wasn't using a surge protector (I know, I'm an idiot). I sent in the motherboard with a warranty and they gave me a new one because they said they tested it and it didn't work. I rebuilt the PC and it still doesn't turn on. I went and bought a new PSU and rebuilt the PC for a second time and all the fans worked and everything.

I was so relieved that I would finally get to play on my PC again, so I plugged in the monitor to the PC and it gives that message. :/

It gives a black screen with that message and I can't view the BIOS, Windows, or anything. I know my PC detects it because when it's not plugged in, the monitor gives the message: "Cable not detected", but when I plug it in, it gives the message: "Signal not detected".

I tried:
-Turning it off an on.
-Reseting CMOS
-Unplugging and plugging in all the related cords
-Using a different wall socket and surge protector
-Taking out each stick of RAM at a time
-Putting the RAM into different sockets
-Unplugging the main monitor and plugging in an older, backup monitor
-Tried VGA, DVI, and DVI-D
-Plugging the monitor into both slots in the video card
-Plugging the monitor into the motherboard slot
-Booting up with only the essentials (CPU, PSU, MB, and RAM)
-Putting the CPU and the RAM into another PC and it worked fine in that

My specs are:
-Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
-CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
-Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150
-RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
-Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
-Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX
-Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower
-Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
-Monitor 1: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor
-Monitor 2: I don't know the exact model, but it's an older monitor made by ACER. It takes VGA only

I know this is posted a lot, but all the other threads didn't help me find the answer I was looking for.

Also, sorry for the wall of text, I tried to give as much information as I could.

Solution
Well it doesn't seem as if your motherboard comes with a POST LED so it mustve come with a little speaker to connect to the motherboard. If you connect the speaker to the motherboard and try to boot, it will make a series of beeps depending on the problem you have. Usually the motherboard documentation lists what each series of beeps mean. Otherwise you can purchase a POST card that will give you 2 digit error codes that can narrow down the problem in the same way but with a code instead of beeps.

Richard Ricardo

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Try going into your motherboard BIOS and checking what the PCIE slot setting is (Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3) and try changing it. If that doesn't work, try running the computer without the GPU installed and going on the motherboard manufacturer website to update the motherboard drivers so that it can support your card. After you download and install the new drivers, plug the GPU back in and see if it works.

BrennantheGamer

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I can't do any of that though because I can't even get to the BIOS, it's just a black screen. Also, I tried it with only the essentials (CPU, RAM, PSU, and MB) and it didn't work. I'll add that to the list of things I tried.

BrennantheGamer

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Ok, I forgot another thing I tried, sorry. I put the CPU and RAM into another PC and it worked fine. I don't think it's likely that the motherboard is broken because I just got it. So, most likely, it's the monitor or something is unplugged. Am I correct?

BrennantheGamer

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Sorry about the late reply.

I just plugged both monitors into my brother's laptop and they both work fine. So that narrows it down to the motherboard, right?

Also, I have not put the components from another computer into the motherboard because the PC that I put my RAM and CPU in was my friends PC, and he is busy atm. I don't have another PC or PC parts available to test the motherboard with. Are there other tests that I can do to see if the motherboard is working?

Lastly, could it be the drivers of the old motherboard not working with the new motherboard? It's the same model, but I know the ID numbers changed and things like that.

Richard Ricardo

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Well it doesn't seem as if your motherboard comes with a POST LED so it mustve come with a little speaker to connect to the motherboard. If you connect the speaker to the motherboard and try to boot, it will make a series of beeps depending on the problem you have. Usually the motherboard documentation lists what each series of beeps mean. Otherwise you can purchase a POST card that will give you 2 digit error codes that can narrow down the problem in the same way but with a code instead of beeps.

Solution