IP Address REFUSES to change!

SkyyX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hello guys, for the past week to months i have been trying to change my IP Address without any reward to my time spent, The reason of me wanting to change my IP adress really does not concern anyone so please do not ask that, I have a Arris DG860 modem + router in one (i think) and i have spent numerous times trying to change my IP address.

I am not the only one on my network, i have 3 phones with wifi and 1 laptop and 1 desktop as myself i am using a desktop. I have tried to turn off my other desktop and laptop and also my TV (requires internet + unplugged the ethernet cable) and it just wants to assign me the same IP address every single time i ever get on the internet.

So far what i have done

• Made sure my ip was a dynamic using ipconfig /all {DHCP Enabled}

Read the sticky dealing with ipconfig /release

I have look around in my Router Settings to no avail

Looked in ipconfig /all and saw that my modem releases at a certain time, waited for that time and shut it off before the time frame and then turned on after time frame ended and still has the same IP

I need some suggestions besides contacting my ISP because they give me the work around just like everyone else, Also i have noticed my IP RENEWS and RELEASES every 1 hour so should i try to turn it off for a couple of hours and try again?

I don't know what else to do as im all out of ideas, i am tech savvy but not when it comes to network related issues.. Thank you for any adivce you may have and i will be sure to post weather it worked or not.

This is my public IP Address.

Additional Info
My Other desktop, My Main Desktop both have the same ip address as also my laptop, would it be better to just literally stick my modem in bridge mode and have a external router and base it off that or would that not help at all?

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Just to be clear, are you trying to change your public IP address? If this is the case, the recommendation you were given of leaving the router off for a while is good. But in order for you to get a new public IP address, you need to be disconnected from the ISP long enough for someone else to grab your IP address. There is no fixed time for this, all about your luck. Sometimes it could happen in a few minutes, sometimes it can take hours. The key here is that in order for you to get a new address. You need to first release the address, one option is to shut down the modem/router connecting to your ISP long enough to for someone else to get your IP address thus making it unavailable and ISP's automated DHCP server giving you a new one.

If you turn off your modem for a few hours and still get the same IP address, thats just some really bad luck. Try turning off your modem before you go to sleep and turn it back on when you wake up. The 8 hours or some should be plenty of time.

USAFRet

Titan
Your public IP address changing is at the whim of your ISP. There is little you can do to influence when or if it changes.

The reason of me wanting to change my IP adress really does not concern anyone so please do not ask that
And whenever someone makes that statement, it always leads to asking 'Why?'

I suspect that we already know the answer ;)