Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I am running windows 7 Home 64bit with a Asus H87M-E Motherboard and have a Samsung SSD drive with all programs installed and a 1TB HDD with two 2TB esata external hard drives. My motherboard is set to AHCI mode. I am running HotSwap! so I can safely shutdown my drives. It seems this is the only app that can safe remove my esata drives. I read somewhere that I should run Intel RST because it benefits SSD and HDD combo systems. Ever since I began running Intel RST my PC takes a long time to boot up. I am not sure if I really need this program. I consider myself somewhat of a newbie when it comes to this stuff so I apologize if my question doesn't make sense. Thanks for your help in advance.

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Ok, thanks. I assume when I uninstall it I will have the motherboard chipset driver still there and will my SSD still be optimized to work with my HDD? I want to optimize the performance of my SSD. My SSD is 120GB Samsung 840 EVO. I am still not sure what caching is anyway.

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Now I remember why I installed IRST. Since I uninstalled it, when I switch on my external HDD which is esata, my computer doesn't recognize it. I have two external esata drives. The second one showed up when I switched it on, but the first one didn't. This happens sporadically and is not predictable when and what drive it happens to, sometimes both. IRST took care of the problem. Is there another driver I can install that will take care of this? I think this is an esata issue, but not sure.

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Here is an update. I just restarted my computer and turned on the drive which I labeled drive X. I heard the windows chime when it was switched on but no drive showed up. I went into disk management and it is showing the drive as Disc 2 with no letter. When I right clicked on it and clicked properties or when I try to change the drive letter an error comes up and says "The operation failed to complete because disk management console view is not up to date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. I the problem persists, close the disk management console, then restart disk management or restart the computer"