Does duplicating my ''gaming'' monitor onto a virtual monitor takes more GPU ressources?

Sentenza Gaming

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I have a Sapphire R9 tri-x 290. I have a gaming monitor and a secondary monitor used as an extended display. I bought a LGP Lite (external video capture card) to record my gameplay. I was having some black screen problems afterwards. I solved the problem by plugging extra HDMI cables from my graphic card to my secondary screen. Those cables go through the LGP Lite and are plugged in the HDMI 2 output of the secondary screen. In catalyst control center, I've set the HDMI 2 output to be a duplicate monitor of my gaming monitor so I can record with the LGP lite (my computer thinks that there's 3 monitors). My question is, does the duplicate monitor signal that goes out from my graphic card to my second monitor (even if I don't turn the monitor on) will make my graphic card less performing during games?

Solution
Think of it like when you open up a program like X split. It shows the exact same scene when you're in a game inside of the preview window. It's not like it's doubling the load on the card, it's just duplicating the signal it catches from the application and beams it to the preview window.

The same process applies here as well. The virtual monitor that CCC creates is just like the preview window inside of X split.

Hope my analogy makes sense. It's the best way I can describe it.

dovah-chan

Honorable
If it duplicates the signal then most likely not.

If it actually renders another scene you would most likely be able to tell immediately running any intensive game as you'd only get 15fps on something like Far Cry 3 on 1080p ultra settings at 4X MSAA with HDAO.

Sentenza Gaming

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

How do I figure out if it duplicates the signal or renders another scnene? Is there a way to manually select the option to duplicate the signal?

Sentenza Gaming

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

It's the same thing on my main monitor and on the ''virtual'' monitor. It means my GPU just splits the signal and doesn't have to renders the graphics twice?

dovah-chan

Honorable
Think of it like when you open up a program like X split. It shows the exact same scene when you're in a game inside of the preview window. It's not like it's doubling the load on the card, it's just duplicating the signal it catches from the application and beams it to the preview window.

The same process applies here as well. The virtual monitor that CCC creates is just like the preview window inside of X split.

Hope my analogy makes sense. It's the best way I can describe it.

Solution