System Instability issues

pbpredator

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I am looking for advice for a computer that is just generally unstable. When I leave for prolonged periods of time it will not awake from sleep state, I have to hard reboot it. Sometimes when I come home it is off, and when I turn it on I get video errors. I unplug the HDMI cable a few times and try turning it on and off until it finally works. I feel like i just don't get the performance I have paid for. Now I know the build isn't the best parts and I started off with some cheap components, but I have upgraded a lot of the components hoping to relieve some of the instability and have come up empty handed in trying to remedy the issues. So, If anyone has some spare time and would like to help me out with trying to get the performance out of the components I have I would be forever grateful!

I went ahead and built a completely accurate components list on pcpartspicker.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pbpredator/saved/Tzkqqs

If there is any other information you are looking for I am happy to oblige.

sam1275tom

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Did you note this in the URL you provided: "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs".
You can also use "exclusion method": replace doubtful hardware 1-by-1 to locate the problem, you can borrow from your friends.
Hope this will help.

pbpredator

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
The computer boots, with the exception of when I get the message to check my video cable, or just blank screen until I reboot repeatedly and fiddle with the cable and then it works.

YOu need a new HDMI cable to make sure that is not the problem.

Then update the BIOS to the newest version to rule that out completely.

After that, run memtest for 5 passes to check the RAM for errors.

Check the CPU and motherboard (northbridge temps) during something stressful.

pbpredator

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Just recently flashed Bios to latest, hoping that would fix instability. Still having issues. I'll look into picking up another HDMI Cable. Ill run the memtest asap. What should I do to stress the CPU/MOBO?

how full and old is the HDD? check its health with Hard Disk Sentinel or Crystal Disk Info to check the HDD health. Also make sure windows update and other drivers are all up to date. I like Slimdrivers for finding out of date drivers.

I would use command prompt to check for corrupt files. command prompt must be run as administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

pbpredator

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
The SSD was purchased 2 months ago the HD was purchased within the year I believe. Its pretty empty right now seeing as its a fresh install of 8.1 on the SSD I also formatted the HD.