GTX 970 Gigabyte vs MSI

Which GTX 970 is the better card overall?

• Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

davidintel

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I am upgrading my graphics card to help me with the latest games that are coming out and was wondering which card is better and why. Thanks in advance!
The MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G or the
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

That is pretty damn close. I feel like it is splitting hairs. Both make some very good cards. I have had good luck with Gigabyte motherboards in the past. But I am on my first GPU by them, and haven't had any issues so far. They both make pretty good units man. So I guess I would choose the Gigabyte card, although I don't have that great of reasoning.

The big problem is going to be finding one of those in stock. Everywhere I have looked they are sold out.

gamer1357

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Both are great cards. I have the gigabyte so I cant speak for the MSI, but people with the MSI seem to enjoy it.

They both seem to overclock very similarly. I have mine OC'ed to 1500mhz. Most, if not every, MSI and gigabyte model should hit right around there. As for cooling, my gigabyte hits around 75 degrees max when overclocked and running unigine heaven and it stays very quiet. Under load both the MSI and gigabyte stay fairly quiet, but the MSI does have the passive cooling when idle. The gigabyte comes with a backplate while the MSI doesn't. If you have a blue build, the blue led on the gigabyte will look sexy, but you can turn it off if you don't like it. I have to say I'm very happy with my gigabyte. Hopefully someone with an MSI will give their input.

davidintel

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'll admit, it is like splitting hairs, and yes both are very hard to find. I'm just hoping the one I get will not have coil whine, and is not a dud! :)

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx970/

if you want to find one use that...both were on sale today. It's splitting hairs but I would go with the G1.

davidintel

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
You are right Jake, need to have a lot of room in your case.
Gigabyte card is 12.28 inches long, and the MSI is 10.59 inches long. These are Big Boys!

I have an Azza Solano 1000 full tower case, and will be getting a CM Storm Stryker for my next build.